Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Psalm 50 - Promise & Obey

Just a short post today coming from a friend on Psalm 50:
"What right have you to recite my laws or take my covenant on your lips? You hate my instruction and cast my words behind you." -Psalm 50:16-17

God has made many promises to us throughout scripture. From promises of eternal life through the belief in His son (John 3:16), to others about health, blessing, wisdom and peace.

After reading this today I’m reminded of the promise “fads” that sweep over the church from time to time. “The Prayer of Jabez” is one that I think fits this well. There were thousands of people who believed that by reciting the simple prayer (it is a good one, by the way) they could bind God to His promise to “bless them greatly”. I wonder if Bruce Wilkinson had included this verse from Psalm 50 as a postscript, what people would have thought. The people who want the promise without the obedience or the blessing without the faith.

God, as you renew your people and your church, fill us with the desire to love your instruction and your Word. Glorify yourself through our obedience and lead us in your everlasting way. Amen

1 comment:

  1. How many of us can truly say, "God I am ready for WHATEVER YOU bring my way. I am trusting 100% in YOU,"? I know I can not say it and mean it with all my heart. I know that God is still working on me and teaching me A LOT of lessons. For this reason, I can not say I am ready for everything You have to offer me God. I can humbly and needingly ask God to give me HIS strength to see me through whatever He desires me to do. When we are not 100% honest with ourselves and God, can any of us say we have any ANY "right" to read God's words? Don't we all have the "right" to death???

    ReplyDelete