Monday, April 13, 2009

Psalm 59 - Troubles

David is obviously in a tough spot. He finds himself in a moment where he simply needs deliverance. While he dedicates the beginning of this Psalm to painting the picture of his situation followed by his plea to God to intercede, he closes it out by showing us (once again) why he is known as a “man after God’s own heart”.
“But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.” – Psalm 59:16

We have troubles. Jesus told us that we would. Then He told us to take heart because He had overcome the world. It’s interesting to me how we’ve slowly come to believe that somehow, if we follow Him, He’s promising that won’t happen. We need to remember that while it may be our goal to live a life without troubles, Christ’s goal is to reconcile us with God, regardless our troubles. It’s his goal to help us find peace with God so when the troubles come we have an eternal fortress.

David worshiped God and sang of his strength and love. He worshiped because God had become his true fortress, his refuge in times of trouble. Whether we have physical, emotional, relational, or spiritual troubles… we can know that because of His love and strength, we have refuge in Him.

1 comment:

  1. It seems the longer I walk the planet as a believer and follower of Jesus, the more the simple truths are the best. To know I have a eternal hope and strength in God is something that I have known for a while but, it is something I also loose sight of when troubles come up. To live the life of peace, to trust and know and 100% believe in my heart of hearts my very being that God is protecting me and will see me through the times I think are tough, WOW that is something to ponder when things go south.

    ReplyDelete