Monday, March 30, 2009

Psalm 49 – Threatened by Love

Over the past year and a half (or so) I’ve been approaching the Bible in a different way. I’ve been reading it looking for the answer to the question, “God, in what ways did you love us?” It initially came from Jesus’ command, “As I have loved you, so you must love one another.”

I’m reminded of this search today as I read Psalm 49. I really hope to not only understand the instruction of God’s word but also to hear the utterance of His heart.
“My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the utterance from my heart will give understanding. I will turn my ear to a proverb; 
with the harp I will expound my riddle” – Psalm 49:3-4

What’s behind this for me? I’ve come to a place where I’ve embraced the reality of struggle in the Christian journey. I'm not talking about the struggle of comprehending doctrine or truth, more so the struggle of not understanding our own flesh and our battle to actually do what’s right. Paul addressed this struggle in detail in his “I do not understand what I do” speech.

As a church leader, there is an added pressure to “have it all together”. Reality: I don’t. None of us do. There are things we are convinced of, but what about the things we’re not? What do we do? How do we act? How do we lead with confidence?

My answer? “Read with love and lead with love”.

What do I mean by that? First, we should always read scripture through the lens of love. I believe it was written with this lens. When we do, it changes everything. If God is love, why wouldn’t we? If we’d do so, we’d see the “why” behind every mandate, recommendation, suggestion, and hope of the Bible.

Second, always lead with love. This should be the motive and the “how” we do all things. Even when we decide something should be done because of love (even tough love or discipline) in our application, we often let our flesh take over, and leave love at the door. Not a good idea.

It’s interesting to me how much this attitude is being criticized even by many believers. I’ve heard others say it sounds too much like the “social gospel”, or some kind of watered down “new age” movement. Honestly, if we find ourselves resisting love as a real, viable, and holistic answer, we need to take a look at ourselves and ask why we’re so threatened by it. What tradition, personal bias, insecurity, or fear do we have? We should ask this if we hesitate to offer love, even more so if we find ourselves criticizing it.

I guess here’s my point. Love never fails. Love casts out fear. Jesus said the greatest command is love. Paul said that even compared with faith and hope, that love was the greatest. When we don’t know what to do, when we’re confused, when we’re threatened, when we’re offended and even hurt… love. And we can’t go wrong.

3 comments:

  1. Reading this short commentary evokes a ton of thought. Such a complex subject but something that I certainly can't ever spend enough time with in prayer and meditation.

    To respond in love in all situations (rather than from my limited experience or intellect) is a challenge that I will always pursue. Thanks for the reminder today Brandon. -i

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "love struggle" I have is when we are offended. My ego/pride sin comes into play. I heard a friend say, "We need to look at others with the eyes of mercy and grace Jesus looks at us with." It is a daily die to self thing (the ego/pride sin) for me. When I stop, ponder, and pray about it then it comes to love. When I am out of step with my quiet time and conversation with God then it is a struggle. Loving is a thing that takes more discipline, energy and strength then judging ever could. Maybe that is why it is not easy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still sometimes wonder why He loves us so much. It is a concept I don't know if I'll ever fully grasp that it is His being. Love is His being. How can I choose, in each moment, to be loving, honoring, respecting, caring, forgiving? I can't do it without Him. It goes far beyond what I do each day, each moment. It is amazing that it really does not matter what I do (yet I still put so much time and energy into planning what I'll do, and far less into considering how I want to be). I think it's the attitude of heart that matters the most. If I'm choosing love over everything else, than all of my actions will naturally line up with God's will for me, and I will be set free from my worry about what God wants me to do with my life, set free into being who God created me to be, one of His children who reflects His glory and complete character, who He uses to draw others to Him. Today I choose to be loving, forgiving, passionate, receptive, giving. Thanks God!

    ReplyDelete