Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Eccl. 10 – Mixing Words

My 11 year old is getting into a little bit of trouble at school right now. He’s a good kid, first born, who typically avoids breaking the rules at all costs (so it's a bit funny that he's even in trouble). He’s not really in major trouble… he’s just getting a little sassy with his teachers. And he’s just smart enough to think he’s getting away with it. I don’t know where he gets it. (wink, wink). Although the indicators are obvious, he claims he doesn’t know when he’s doing it… so I told him to listen to himself when he’s talking. When he catches himself talking too much, he’s usually a little full of “it”.
“Words from a wise man's mouth are gracious, but a fool is consumed by his own lips. At the beginning his words are folly; at the end they are wicked madness-and the fool multiplies words.” – Eccl. 10:12-14
Our words are important.

There’s also a pretty blatant progression found in these verses that can serve as evidence for when we are speaking foolishly. Especially in regards to other people: First, (1) our accusations or thoughts about whatever we are talking of are unfounded or possibly based on “folly”, (2) our words in themselves seem to rile ourselves up causing us to spiral into more and more madness and (3) we find ourselves constantly reeling in our words trying to convince others to agree.

No good can come from it. And the advice continues:
“Do not revile the king even in your thoughts, or curse the rich in your bedroom, because a bird of the air may carry your words, and a bird on the wing may report what you say.” – Ecclesiastes 10:20
This whole chapter is about staying calm and choosing our words wisely. We’ve all struggled to do so. I think that this not only helps us maintain the right posture… but it also gives us an opportunity to evaluate our thoughts and validate them before acting on them.

This is a good reminder, one that we probably all need.
“Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.” – Ephesians 4:29
God, Help us to control our tongue. Your word says it's like a rudder that turns the whole ship... so this is important. More than anything, change our hearts... that our words may just be an overflow of the transformation happening from within. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. I seem to just go. When my mouth runs ahead of my brain or my heart, it just sort of goes. Before I know it I am complaining or being negative or doing the did you hear game. When I am focused and stop and ask myself how Jesus would react in the situation, my mouth seems to not get me into so much trouble. The staying calm and focused on Jesus is the key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A fool also is full of words: a man cannot tell what shall be; and what shall be after him, who can tell him?" - Ecclesiastes 10:14

    Two age old sayings that I love (but don’t always adhere to) are:
    (1) It's better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it.
    (2) We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak

    I found a quote from Epictetus, a Greek philosopher, who said;
    “First learn the meaning of what you say, and then speak.”

    I have gotten myself into trouble so many times with my mouth. I also think too many times we try to understand people without listening to them. Solomon observes that someone who is “full of words” is probably full of something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me wonder what troubles could be/ could have been avoided with a better understanding or mastery of this teaching.

    ReplyDelete