Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Eccl. 1 – Shockingly Refreshing

I grew up in western Colorado. While it certainly gets cold in the winter (and I’ve shoveled my fair share of snow), what might surprise you, is how hot it can get in the summer. It’s a different kind of hot than we get in Texas. It’s a dry hot. It’s a hot that will scorch you in minutes. During the summer, we always seemed to end up swimming, tubing, wading, jumping from bridges and/or fishing in the Colorado River. Since it’s primarily melted snow runoff, it’s shockingly cold. But to a kid on a hot summer day, shockingly refreshing as well.

That’s how I feel about Ecclesiastes. It’s shockingly refreshing. Different. Surprising… Refreshing.

Each of us feel the pull to succeed, to climb the ladder, to follow the rules, to chase after… whatever we chase after… the list goes on. We put the pressure on ourselves to stay in the chase. And we feel the pressure from our culture to do the same. In Ecclesiastes, King Solomon, a man filled with God’s wisdom puts it all in perspective.
"Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless. What does man gain from all his labor at which he toils under the sun?”

(Ecclesiastes 1:2-3)

Keep in mind here that Solomon is not having a pity party. He’s teaching something very important. And while he does not yet say what IS meaningful, we know what’s coming. I’m looking forward to the next few weeks of study in this book. I know it’s always challenging to me… especially in causing me to rethink my priorities.

Father, I pray that our labor is for you. I pray our toil is about you. Therefore our joy will be for and about you and your mission. Help me to see where I make it about me. Help me to see when I make it temporary and meaningless. I pray that you bring eternal things to the minds of your people. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. I have known some who measure their ‘worth’….by the knowledge they have attained. I think deep down, like Solomon, they must know that the knowledge reveals the holes in their quest. It also reveals the need to explain the answers that elude even the wisest man.
    Like Solomon says….its chasing after the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book. The smartest man in the world is giving advice before he is about to die. When the smartest guy not only on the block but the planet says everything is meaningless that man labors at, you better listen. Solomon had it all and the only things that ended mattering was what he got from God. If we took that advice to heart would we run around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to get more money, bigger houses and cars??? OR would we spend more time DOING God's work???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard it said about this first chapter of Ecclesiastes that Solomon was coming from a jaded perspective. That he's frustrated because all is meaningless and he's sort of pouting about it. He's spent his whole life pursuing wisdom only to find that it left him empty. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's an awesome perspective Sarah. I wonder if it's possible to be pouting in His wisdom of revelation in a "celebrating" kind of way. What I mean by that is that I think he probably "got it" to the point that he was expressing this revelation, but wasn't really disturbed by it as much as he was "not surprised" by the paradox of faith.

    Obviously it's just wondering on my part... but your thoughts certainly makes me want to get into his head a bit.

    ReplyDelete