Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Eccl. 11 – Spit Ballin’

There are many areas of our faith in which we really don’t know what we’re doing. We think we do. We act like we do, but we don’t. Paul wrote, “We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.”

However, this shouldn’t keep us from doing what we think we should. We should not remain idle. In fact that’s probably the most important part. As Paul said in Romans 14, “Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.” Rest assured that one-day we’ll stand before God and we’ll see where we were off. But for now, the only one who knows it all, is God. Chapter 11 reminds me of that:
“Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap. As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things. Sow your seed in the morning, and at evening let not your hands be idle, for you do not know which will succeed, whether this or that, or whether both will do equally well.” Ecclesiastes 11:4-6
There’s so much division and argument on the ways we should live out our faith. It’s pretty much always been that way. There’s always been at least two sides to almost every issue. It’s funny how today we can be convinced of something that history shows cannot be solved with our own wisdom. That doesn’t mean we stop trying to understand, it just means we should have a bit more of a humble posture in thinking we know it all.

And whatever we do, we should do it to the Glory of God and out of affection for God. That’s much harder than it sounds. But if that’s truly our motive… I think God will be pleased with our efforts (and scripture tells us he'll give us a hand).

2 comments:

  1. The humble posture is where I struggle. I don't think I am better than other people but, I do a lot of swquacking about getting what's coming to me, being treated fair and having people treat me like a professional. I seem to be stuck on getting what I deserve. It is a daily struggle to remind myself when my ego gets the best of me. I need to always keep in the front of my mind that I deserve a sinner's death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Michael. I think we should all be grateful that we don't get what we really deserve.

    ReplyDelete