Saturday, April 18, 2009

Eccl. 2 - The Man in Black

I love Johnny Cash. From the time I first heard “A Boy Named Sue” when I was in fourth grade I was hooked. Although I’ve had seasons following other artists, bands, and genres, there’s always been a place for Johnny Cash.

My favorite album was his final album: “American IV: The Man Comes Around”. It has a simple black cover with a silhouette of Johnny on it and “CASH” in big white letters at the top. It was released less than a year prior to his passing in September of 2003.

The song list is an obvious reflection on life and a pondering of eternity. From the title track “The Man Comes Around” to the final song “We’ll Meet Again”, the CD is packed with a journey of reflection on faith, family, and friendship. The things that when it’s all said and done, he has found to be the most meaningful.

Solomon has found this eternal perspective (in an obviously much deeper, direct, and God inspired way). He lived life to the “full”. He literally dipped his toe into everything that might bring pleasure. He found delight in his work. And yet when comparing the temporal to the eternal, there’s no comparison:
“I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor. Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.” – Ecclesiastes 2:10-11

Solomon went on to reveal that no matter what we believe about these things… it doesn’t change what is true… in the end
“The wise man has eyes in his head, while the fool walks in the darkness; but I came to realize that the same fate overtakes them both.” – Ecclesiastes 2:14

I can’t help but think about the revelation that in due time “every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord”. This is a reality. As Johnny said, “when the man comes around”… no matter what we believe about this truth… we’ll not only see it, but we’ll understand it, and we’ll all agree on it.

This brings me both peace and a sense of urgency. It’s an urgency to not only share the Good News of Christ, but also to enjoy the life God has offered. In a world full of legalism and pain, somehow, I think the two work wonderfully together.
“A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment? To the man who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.” – Ecclesiastes 2:24-26

2 comments:

  1. This has a lot of meaning for me. I've often thought that Christians put too much stock in the afterlife and not enough in the life that God has gifted them right now. I believe we can give glory to Him by enjoying His creation, and not ignoring its beauty and wonder. But as Solomon said, there's something deeper that's infinitely more meaningful, which is that relationship with God (through Jesus).

    I agree -- there's no reason we can't do both. Praise God for this incredible world and life he's given us, and for the breathtaking relationship he offers us through His Son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the price of gas and what not, we are spending more and more weekends in beautiful Winfield Kansas. Winfield is sort of like in a time warp. We still have our share of problems. Too many of our children are raising them selves without parents at home. We still have too many abuse cases. BUT, Winfield still has the small town 1950's charm like Mayberry. What I am finding is it is the simpler things in life that bring me enjoyment. It is not the all mighty dollar or a fancy car or a fancy vacation. It is sitting on the porch and watching my kids play tag. It is taking a walk to the library or walking down to Main Street just for the the adventure or it. Don't complicate God. Just take Him at face value and live in His presence.

    ReplyDelete