Saturday, April 4, 2009

Psalm 53 - Denial

Guest Post: Mike Kilbane (I love the quote at the end)
The fool says in his heart, “There is not God.” (Psalm 53:1)

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Rom 1:20)


Atheism is living in denial of God. Denial can happen around a number of events in our lives from disease to death to personal flaws. In most cases, we choose denial because it is easier than dealing and living with the alternative. The same holds true for atheists. It’s easier for them to live their lives without the tension caused by knowing there is a creator and judge. It’s easier to live without feeling we are ultimately accountable for our behavior and decisions. It’s easier to believe we’re here by an evolutionary accident than because we are loved. It’s easier to live without responsibility than to have to answer to God.

In this Easter season we can’t come to the cross without considering all of these things. When we think of our accountability before God it is overwhelming and, ultimately depressing. How can we stand before a holy God with the sin in our lives? How can we face Him with the unmet needs in this world? We can’t. Not without Jesus. Without Jesus the prospect of considering and facing God would rationally lead to denial. How can someone live a productive life knowing their destruction awaits at the end of their life? Thank God for Jesus.

He is our path out of denial.

1 comment:

  1. I have heard it said, "I don't have the guts to be an atheist." I have to agree. I know how much I don't know and I know how much I mess things up when I try to do them on my own. For me, I NEED to believe in God. I need to grow in that relationship. I NEED to know someone Who has ALL the answers, desires a relationship with me.

    ReplyDelete