Friday, February 20, 2009

Psalm 32 - Break Time

We need a break. Not because we’re working too hard or because we think we deserve it, but because we need to take the time to stop and reflect on the goodness of God. We get so busy going, doing, and being that we forget to acknowledge, absorb, and appreciate.

King David knew the value of soaking it up. He soaked up every moment he had before God. He soaked up the victories. He soaked up the favor. And he soaked up the fact that he was forgiven.
“Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD " - and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah.” – Psalm 32:5

I love this word, “Selah”. It’s a pause in the writing. It’s a pause in the reading. It’s a pause to simply pause… and soak it up. “Selah” not only means to “pause” but it’s root means “to weigh”. I think that speaks for itself.

David had an amazing amount of confidence before God. While it’s refreshing to see his confidence in battle and leading, it’s surprising for me to see how much confidence he had in confession. I would imagine it came not from what he knew about himself, but more so from what he knew about God. Simply put, that if he acknowledged his sin in full disclosure, he would be forgiven. No matter how great the transgression.

There are some lessons to be found in there. I don’t always feel confident after a time of confession. Maybe we can all relate to that at times. And since God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, maybe when we fall short of full confidence in our confession, it’s because we aren’t offering full disclosure. God knows our hearts. I think we know them more than we like to admit, especially when we’re holding back.

Father, I want the confidence of David. But at times I lack the faith of David. At times I lack in fully believing in an unconditional love that should result in complete transparency with you. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to hold back, yet I have, and I do. Grow my faith. Thank you for your patience. Thank you for your faithfulness. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I think the enemy traps us here. We think we have to busy all the time. We think we must be doing something we can check off a list. We think we must get some many things on and off our "to do list" every day. One of the most amazing things I ever experienced was at a camp ground we used for FCA and it was just me. I sat back, closed my eyes and just was. I listened to the birds and the wind in the trees. I let my mind go with memories of the amazing things I had seen God do at this place. It was such a great time. Did I cross something off my list? Did I do something that could be measured? No, I didn't. The world would see that afternoon as a waste. I see it as a time with my Father. - Michael

    ReplyDelete