Thursday, February 5, 2009

Psalm 21 – Simple Psalm

I remember as a kid we always said a simple prayer before our meals:
“God is great. God is good. Thank you for this food. Amen.”

Pretty basic. As an adult it seems a bit trivial and almost belittling of the greatness of God. But there is beauty in that simplicity. In it, we expressed his greatness, his goodness, and our position of thanks.
Be exalted, O LORD, in your strength; we will sing and praise your might.” – Psalm 21:13

While more words were used, David kept it simple in this 21st Psalm. He basically offers up a “God is good” sandwich. A little bit of “Thank you God” surrounded by two pieces of “God is Great”.

I know, Simple, right?

Here’s the deal. We are so self-focused. If we were to dissect our prayers, we might actually see a little “thank you God”. We’d see a ton of “can you do this for me God”. Often we’d find “what is your will for my life God”. But the “God is great” part is often neglected. Rarely do we say it on it’s own.

How much do we meditate on His greatness? How much do we remind Him of His greatness? How much do we thank Him for his greatness (we thank Him for great things He does, but not usually for who He is)?

God, you truly are great. For every reason, you are great. You spoke and it was. As you will, it will be. Thank you God.
“When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?” –Psalm 8:3-4

2 comments:

  1. You are right on the money, man is very self centered. Even we are not trying to be we are. We focus in on what we want to do for God. We focus in on what God can do for us. I had a friend once, an English teacher, tell me count how many times I used the pronoun "I" in my emails, conversations and thoughts. The amount was mind blowing. I could not believe I spent that much time focused on me. Even we I was trying to look elsewhere, I still managed to get in the "I" thought. We forget, God does not NEED us. He WANTS us but, does not NEED us. That right there is an amazing thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my c-group one time, my friend opened us up in a prayer with that I thought was one of the most beautiful prayers I have ever heard. She simply said "God.....You are so Awesome....Amen"


    Lewis

    ReplyDelete