Friday, February 6, 2009

Psalm 22 - Abandoned

We hate being abandoned. We hate even the thought of it. In John 14 the greatest fear that came upon the Disciples was from the thought of Jesus leaving. They were afraid they couldn’t do it alone. They were afraid they would fail, disappoint, stumble, and misrepresent their leader.

I can relate.

That’s why it’s so tough to be in those seasons in which we hear or feel nothing. Does that mean God is not at work? Certainly not. Does it mean that we are standing at a crossroads with an opportunity to find deeper faithfulness in ourselves, most certainly so.

And what about the fact that it bothers us so much when we don’t hear God? Is that a good or bad thing? Should we stop whining and complaining? Should we stop being so hungry? I don’t necessarily think so. I think it’s good when it bothers us deeply when we sense an absence of God’s movement. I would be more concerned if it didn’t bother us.
“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me,
so far from the words of my groaning?

O my God, I cry out by day,
but you do not answer,
by night, and am not silent.

Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One;
you are the praise of Israel.” – Psalm 22:1-3

God’s apparent absence disturbed David greatly. His strategy? Take a posture of humility and remind God of His faithfulness. In fact, he did this about four different times in four different ways in chapter 22.

I think somehow in those two steps, we will find hope and encouragement. The more we take a posture of humility before our God and remind Him of His faithfulness, the more we believe them ourselves. The more we believe them, the more we’ll experience them. Sounds like a journey.

God knows what He’s doing.
“The Spirit of Christ, which was in the prophets, testifies in this psalm, clearly and fully, the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. We have a sorrowful complaint of God's withdrawings. This may be applied to any child of God, pressed down, overwhelmed with grief and terror. Spiritual desertions are the saints' sorest afflictions; but even their complaint of these burdens is a sign of spiritual life, and spiritual senses exercised.” – M.Henry

1 comment:

  1. You summed it up in one statement, "God knows what He is doing." I know that in my life, I have a big problem with this. I think that I must take care of this situation or that I can do it on my own. Sometimes I forget that God is controlling things and His will is done. I forget that God maybe using certain situations to draw me closer to Him. He maybe laying the ground work for something I won't see the end result of until 50 years down the road. I can not pick and choose what verses or which one of God's teachings I believe in and which ones I don't. If I believe Christ died for my sins, I must believe that God will fight for me and I must be quiet.

    ReplyDelete