Thursday, February 12, 2009

Psalm 26 – Strong Statements

“Test me, O LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind; for your love is ever before me, and I walk continually in your truth.” – Psalm 26:2-3

There are several powerful claims wrapped up in these two verses. It starts with the desire for God to examine our hearts and minds. Stop right there. That’s enough for today. God, David says that he’s willing to let you test and try him. He understands that THAT is the way you examine our hearts and minds.

Forgive me God when I just get mad at you for trials. Forgive me when I act like you’re not being fair. God I’ve asked you to search my heart, yet I don’t know if I’ve ever connected the searching with the testing. I’ve just always thought of them as two disconnected things. I've thought of them as one thing I’d like to happen and one I don’t.

Give me the faith of David to remember that in every test, trial, and examination of our heart and mind, your “love is ever before me”. That makes all the difference in the world.

Help us to walk in continually in your truth, God. Thank you that your truth not only includes righteousness, but also transparency, vulnerability, confession, repentance, reconciliation, and restoration.

1 comment:

  1. Testing and growth is just like growing physically. Our muscles hurt after
    working out. Our children are in pain when they are going through growth spurts. Why
    should we think that growing closer to God would not also hurt?

    Michael

    ReplyDelete