Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Psalm 24 – Ownership

I've been blessed with a handful of guys who I do "life" with. They've become my sounding board, given me counsel, encouragement, and we share thoughts on scripture (as we read together) on a daily basis. Every now and then I like to pass along what's been passed on to me (instead of giving my own thoughts). Today's one of those days. Good Stuff:
The earth is the Lord’s and all it contains. The world and those who dwell in it. (Psalm 25:1)

There’s a bike ride I like to take that winds through some great farming and horse country at the foothills of the Rockies. Pastures, rolling hills and expansive acreage that house cattle and horses, as well as deer, elk, coyote, and hawk. It’s an incredible area. There’s one particular corner of the road that is a bit sharp and, unfortunately, an old cross stands vigil, marking the place a young person lost their life in a car. Occasionally there are flowers by it, but mostly it is just the worn wood with this verse on it. It’s an interesting epitaph to me because it seems more directed toward the survivors, than as a memorial of the person who died. I always read it as a comfort to parents and siblings that even our children and family members belong to God.

It used to be kind of a sobering reminder that all things die. But this morning, I see it as an encouraging reminder that we will go home to our Father when we are done here. And that knowledge is cause to celebrate, not mourn.

2 comments:

  1. The thought that this is not home, earth, Heaven is home, gives me peace when the storms come. Remembering that and putting it into practice are two different things but, that is a different bike ride.

    ReplyDelete