Thursday, February 26, 2009

Psalm 36 – Comfortably Numb

At 6 and 10 years old, my boys are in a stage where they are dirty. Seriously. They are never clean. Within 5 minutes of putting on any clean shirt, it will have a mixture of dirt, sharpie, and ketchup from the wrist to the elbows. At any point in the day, the same combination of foreign substance can be found on each of their faces. And they are completely clueless. I don’t know how they miss it, but cleanliness is completely off their radar. Even after I point it out to them, I typically get a shrug of the shoulders and an “oh well” expression. It doesn’t bother them to be dirty. They are too busy playing and going on with their lives.

We can be the same way.
“For in his own eyes he flatters himself too much to detect or hate his sin.” – Palm 36:2

This verse really captured me today. I was thinking about sin as dirt. Sometimes we can have dirt on our sleeves and not even realize it. Someone might point it out to us, and if you’re anything like me, you hate that someone saw it. You’d rather go buy a new shirt than wear it the rest of the day. This has become my natural response to obvious sin. What we'll find, however, is that if we don’t do anything about it, we get used to it. The longer we do that, the more we become accustomed to it, and it’s only a matter of time before we just end up looking at it and shrugging like our kids. As Pink Floyd put it, we can become "Comfortably Numb".

But there’s an other kind of sin mentioned in scripture.

There’s the kind that is like dirt on our faces. We don’t even know it’s there. We walk around like we just got out of the shower, we think we’re clean, yet we’re not. Maybe this could be called our hidden sin. But I think it’s bigger than stuff “others” don’t’ know about, I think it’s the stuff that “we” don’t even know about.

So how do you deal with sin that you don’t know is there? I think first, we assume that it is there and go looking for it. Second, I think we should proactively put the things in our lives that scriptures say can help us avoid it. Some of the obvious are staying connected in biblical community, spending time in God’s Word, prayer, etc…

Both our kids and Verse 2 give us some interesting insight. When we’re so busy with “our” lives, when we’re so concerned with who “we” are, when we come to the point when we think to highly of “ourselves” than we ought to, it’s a danger zone. We should be careful not to “flatter” ourselves too much. If we do, we may slip into a place where we not only lose the ability to detect sin in our own lives, but also the desire to fight it.

3 comments:

  1. i hate that stain (sin) that has been there so long it gets really difficult to get out. sometimes you have to really scrub it out to the point it's painful.
    i also think it's good to have someone like your spouse or a mentor to hold you accountable.
    amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was listening to a song today on the radio by a Christian rapper and he was talking about how people doubt God because there is so much evil in the world. He went on to say that people expect justice in the world from this supposed God to make all things right. What they fail to realize is that if God was only just and didn't exhibit grace, we'd all be up a creek without a paddle. I heard R.C. Sproul once say that you probably don't want to pray for justice because you might just get it. I know I forget that God's standard is so high that even my thoughts (unacted upon) are enough to convict me to be separated from Him. In verse 2 (and like Brandon mentioned), it states that the sinner has no reverent fear of God...I'd say the same pitfall could befall the Christian that only focuses on God's grace...eventually the trap could be set to realize how holy God really is and how unholy we aren't...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have spent much of the year with a bruised ego in my work. I think people should listen to me because of my education and work experience. When I have not been, I get frustrated. I get upset. I get in a bad mood. The truth is, my ego doesn't mean anything. We, at least I do, spend way too much time focused on what is "wrong" in our lives and don't take even a minute to appreciate all the blessings that God has given us. Thank you for helping to jolt me back into God's reality and out of my own funk reality!! - Michael

    ReplyDelete