Thursday, February 19, 2009

Psalm 31 - Total Reliance

It's good to be back in Austin. I look forward to getting back on track to posting tomorrow. Psalm 31 is rich. Since I wasn't able to write while in the mountains, I figured I'd just post what Tray (Pruet) wrote today. Good thoughts:
Psalm 29: God’s power, strength and hugeness.
Psalm 30: Joy of the Lord, mercy and favor
Psalm 31: David is in distress and he is calling to his rescuer, his rock, his fortress.

Actually a couple of things hit me this morning. One is all the worship songs and praise choruses that get phrases from these three Psalms. And two, what a roller coaster ride David is on.

In Psalm 31, David is under several types of persecution….he senses betrayal, a sense of worthlessness, and disdain for those who are bringing him grief. And he still relies on God to deliver him. I guess it should be some comfort to those of us who waiver in between times of blessing and times of trial. One thing that David recognizes is that God remains constant. Our circumstances change….but God is faithful and just, merciful and mighty to save.

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking about tatooing this on my arm so that I can remember how AWESOME God is...even in our lowest vallies...! It seems like real transparency and a true human moment on David's part which is also encouraging based on the scripture in the New Testament about how all will endure trials...kind of a "weakness in numbers" idea reminding us that God is the only constant in human existence...thank you Lord...

    ReplyDelete
  2. IF you get this tattoo Mitch I'll go with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how God works to show you the way. Don't get me wrong, I still don't know WHERE I'm headed, but I know that God is on the journey with me. Again today the scripture has told me this: "you are my rock and fortress... You have not handed me over to the enemy... You hide them in the shelter of your presence... But you heard my cry for mercy and answered my call for help... For the Lord protects all those who are loyal to him... SO BE STRONG AND TAKE COURAGE, ALL YOU WHO PUT YOUR HOPE IN THE LORD! Lord, thank you for being my rock and fortress and for inspiring me to to be courageous in each step that I take for you and toward you. Amen.

    ReplyDelete