Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Nehemiah 12 – Call & Response

There were those who volunteered, those who were “drafted”, and those who came as leaders to this new city. But let’s not forget, it was a new city that wasn’t so new. It was in shambles and needed to be rebuilt. It had a new wall, but the city was starting over.

In chapter 12 we see the people doing two things that are related to one another. First they were dedicating their way and second they were giving thanks. They dedicated because they saw God as God. They gave thanks, although their new homes were nothing, because they saw God at work among them. They weren’t giving thanks because they just moved into the coolest condo in downtown Austin. They gave thanks because they had hope. They gave thanks because they knew their current situation was a part of a journey that brought Glory to God.

Their response was to come together, dedicate all that they were and they had to God, and give thanks through song. They were sure to assign great men to lead this task. At least four times in Chapter 12 we see this response mentioned. I’m reminded today of this priority. King David was a worship leader. He stripped down and danced naked before the Lord. Sometimes we act as if worship plays a secondary role and is less primary to our spiritual development journey. We might admit it or agree with that, but if we were to somehow watch a video of us “worshipping”, most unbiased viewers would agree we weren’t laying it all out there as a response to a Holy and all powerful God.

“The Levites were Jeshua, Binnui, Kadmiel, Sherebiah, Judah, and also Mattaniah, who, together with his associates, was in charge of the songs of thanksgiving. Bakbukiah and Unni, their associates, stood opposite them in the services.” – Neh. 12:8-9


And in it they somehow found great joy. It was a joy from God. And it was their strength.

“And on that day they offered great sacrifices, rejoicing because God had given them great joy. The women and children also rejoiced. The sound of rejoicing in Jerusalem could be heard far away.” – Neh. 12:43


Makes me wonder why we gather each week. We should, no doubt. It has both OT and NT biblical precedence. The gathering is every bit as important as the sending. In Nehemiah 12, there is no doubt it was about a response to what God was doing and the opportunity to commit personally and as a people to His Glory. It was truly about exaltation.

God I pray for this heart of worship abandonment. I pray that we love your gathering because of its inherent opportunity to express thanks together. I pray that we keep it about you and your Glory. I pray that we keep it an expression of thanksgiving in response to your greatness.

1 comment:

  1. I know I don't lay it all down. I can remember when I started at SBU and went to chapel. I wasn't raised in church and darn sure had never seen anybody raise their hands while singing in church. How would they hold up the books with the songs in them? Wait a minute where were the books??? What kind of whack job place have I come to, to play football?? I was caught up in myself that I didn't know God brought me to SBU for other more important things then football. Guess I still get caught up in myself in worship. I start to cry now. I am not to the raising of hands but, I am working on it. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete