Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Psalm 34 – Where?

Great question. Where? Where does our hope come from? Where do we seek answers? Where do we look for direction? Where do we find comfort and counsel? David knew the answer to “Where”:
“I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.” – Psalm 34:4-5

Not only did he know the answer to “where”. But he also knew the benefit of knowing the answer. That no matter the result, no matter the consequence, no matter the experience, when we seek Him with and for everything our faces will never be covered with shame. Why? Because the Glory will be His if we are found faithful of finding refuge in Him. It’s only when we take our eyes off the prize that our faces are covered.

It’s funny too. David writes this Psalm in response to God delivering him out of the hands of Abimelech through pretending to be insane. (The king of Gath better known as Achish, was referred to as Abimelech in the title of Psalm 34) (1 Samuel 21:10-15) We’ve had much dialogue about this experience and whether or not David was simply taking things into his own hands and NOT trusting God, or if he was acting crazy as a part of God’s leading. According to this Psalm, David credits this deliverance to God. (See my ENTRY on 1 Samuel 21)

So what’s so funny about it? To me, it’s the fact that King David literally had to act insane, and still did not consider his face to be “covered with shame.” Hmmm. Makes the tasks I consider remedial seem less belittling all of a sudden.

The second thought I had about this chapter, and I’ll keep it quick, was found in its closing verses:
“Evil will slay the wicked; the foes of the righteous will be condemned. The LORD redeems his servants; no one will be condemned who takes refuge in him.” – Psalm 34:21-22

Here’s what I found interesting: The Lord truly will sort it all out. We don’t have to be concerned. It’s not the good that will slay the wicked. It’s evil itself. It’s as if he’s stating this knowledge that in our sin, we will cause our own demise. But as Jesus said, “Take Heart”… no one will be condemned who takes refuge in him.

5 comments:

  1. It is an ego thing that gets in my way. I know the old saying, we all do, when we die it won't matter the car we drove or the job we did. I know this and yet there are still times when I don't want to do stuff since I have and education and blah blah blah. You would think that a person would learn but, I guess that is why God is never done teaching until we are with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today, in the car, my 4yr old was singing “this little light of mine. I’m gonna let it shine...” when she stopped and asked me what that meant. My answer was that when we’re a part of God’s family and we make choices that make God happy, we feel all sparkly on the inside and people can tell that when they’re around us. Verse 5 echoes that sentiment. It is such a beautiful joy to know that God makes me radiant. That’s such a lovely word. Radiant. That’s not happy, sweet, goody-goody. That is being consumed with a powerful love that fulfills, empowers, redeems. When the best you have is filthy rags and the God of all Creation wraps you in robes of righteousness so you can be his bride...that is radiant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Bummer. Yesterday, during school, i left a comment but apparently it
    didn't post. so, basically what i said was that change is good, especially when it brings you into a deeper worship. and, people are
    different with different tastes. some like hymns, some don't. personally my flavor doesn't involve the old hymnals and we are lucky
    enough to have found a church where the music helps us worship fully and a church that we can serve at (which is important ;-). i don't think
    it's too wrong to be picky in that way. also - i love the part of psalm 33 about what doesn't save. reminds me that i should only look to Him to bring me out of the crud life throws." -amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is great!

    ReplyDelete