Monday, September 3, 2007

Isaiah 52, Galatians 3

(Isaiah 52)

As I am writing this, I’m sitting on the porch of a cabin built over 100 years ago in Northern Wisconsin. I’m looking out over a beautiful lake surrounded by tall white pine trees with the sun setting on the horizon. Every now and then, a cool breeze blows past me. Beautiful. That’s the only word that comes to mind.

Isaiah 52:7 says “How BEAUTIFUL on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, Your God reigns!”

Beautiful. That’s the word God gave the prophet Isaiah to describe the feet, not the heart, mind or soul, but the feet of those who bring good news. I’m reminded that the word Gospel means good news.

We sometimes shrink the meaning of the Gospel into a sales pitch to a non-believer hoping to “close the deal” never to be seen by them again. Why would we? We did our job, right? Wrong.

Isaiah 52 reminds us that the Good news is a proclamation of peace. The one who offers it brings good tidings in addition to the proclamation of salvation. I’m challenged today with the fact that most of my faith journey, I have selfishly had a desire to put another notch on my pistol belt of evangelism more than I’ve wanted to be an agent of bringing peace or good tidings into someone’s life. If we were honest, we’d realize that THAT is what Jesus brought. If we would think about the Good News in these terms, I believe it would revolutionize the way we share it. Even more so, live it.

(Galatians 3)

What an amazing God. To know that the whole reason for the law was to eventually lead us to Christ amazes me (vs.24). I’m humbled and thankful that we live in the age of the New Testament Church. Under a NEW command and NEW way of life. I’m humbled and thankful that we live in that Grace. I’m humbled and thankful that God placed us in America where we have had the privilege of freely discovering faith on our own. I’m ashamed that I’ve thought of it as just dumb luck instead of a gift that God has given. May we be faithful with that gift and privilege.

Thank you God.

No comments:

Post a Comment