Thursday, September 27, 2007

Amos 9, 2 Thessalonians 1

Amos 9

Even in His judgment, God’s purpose leads to restoration. Like a parent to a child disciplining out of love, the cycle continues. I’ve always been amazed at how when I discipline my kids, whether it’s a good talkin’ to or a spank, when I do it with the right spirit and attitude they respond with humility.

It’s always when I reach my fleshly limit and I act out of anger or compulsion that they spiral into more tears, frustration, and confusion. But discipline with the right timing and with the right motivation, the relationship is restored.

We are God’s children. We have all sin and fallen short of His perfection. God, thank you for your grace. May we always remain in humility and posture with submission in our lives, priorities, and purpose. Gently pull us back into your fold and hold us there for that is the place we want to be.

“I will bring back my exiled people Israel; they will rebuild the ruined cities and live in them. They will plant vineyards and drink their wine; they will make gardens and eat their fruit.”

2 Thessalonians 1

While we pray for God’s visible hand in reaching out through the church, my fleshly desire is that we see success the way we typically define it in church growth. My spirits desire is that we remain in the middle of God’s will. I pray that His desire is to do amazing things in this church beyond our walls and oceans.

But humbly accept His will no matter the future. Whatever it may be, dear Lord, may we know that you are with us. At every stage of the journey, may we experience your JOY and your peace. May we not have our eye so much on the next launch, event, or milestone, that we miss you in this moment.

If we are found in times of struggle, and when others hear our story, may they echo Paul’s words, “Therefore, among God's churches we boast about your perseverance and faith in all the persecutions and trials you are enduring.”

Give us your grace and strength to persevere and maintain an everlasting growing faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment