Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Isaiah 59, Ephesians 4

Isaiah 59

Justice and Righteousness.

These are redundant themes in the writings of the prophets. While there are many more, they seem to be two of the greatest indictments of man by God. They define the very nature of God. How we treat one another is so critical in our relationship with Christ. I’m challenged this morning to think through my daily experiences with those I’m in relationship with as well as those who I may barely know.

Does justice and righteousness define my interaction with others? Do I look at the injustice in the world and adjust my life to make a difference? Do I see others as God sees them? I guess these are rhetorical questions. The answer is a resounding, not enough. God, help me to be a man after your own heart.

Ephesians 4

What a challenge to us all! Paul urges us to “live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.”

How can we possibly live a life worthy? Fortunately he gives us an outline of heart and mind attitudes. Even more fortunate are we that God cares about our pursuit and passion for these things more than our perfection. He created us. He knows our abilities as well as our shortcomings.

I’m reminded of watching Gavin, my nine-year-old son, play soccer. In all honesty, he’s by far not the best player on the team. I’m thrilled when he makes a great play. I’m thrilled when he experiences success. But my thrill is for HIM when he succeeds. MY thrill is when he gives it all he has on the field.

Our heavenly father feels the same way. We are created in HIS image. HIS thrill is when we give it 110%. It’s just a bonus when we are a part of the success. With or without us, God will be glorified. It’s an honor when we get to be a part of it.

The outline Paul gives us: (1) humility (2) gentleness (3) patience (4) bear with one another.

Humility is translated from the Greek words meaning lowliness: It comes from two words, the first meaning humility of mind in circumstance or disposition and the second from a word that literally means to rein in or to be modest (as to cover midriff). This takes an actual effort and decision of the mind.

While difficult to live out, gentleness and patience are self-explanatory.
A profound reminder is his challenge to us to bear with one another in love. The Greek word used literally means “to hold oneself up against one another”. God does not desire for us to go at this alone. He doesn’t need any “Spiritual Rambo’s” out there. We are created to lean on each other, share our struggles in authenticity, sharpen each other, pray for each other, and go at this together. Whatever the task.

As leaders, it is our nature and temptation, to hold it all in and be private. It’s our nature to pretend like we don’t have cracks in our armor. It’s a huge temptation to pretend we’ve got it all together. In my flesh, I’m tempted to try and be the fearless leader without hesitation. What a relief knowing I’m not alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment