Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Amos 1, Colossians 2

Amos 1

There are two things that resonate with me about chapter one of Amos. The first is his humble beginnings. The fact that not only did he describe himself as a shepherd, but just as “one” of the Shepherds. He came from humble beginnings and was called as prophet only for a season.

I am encouraged by Amos’ strength to speak God’s truth boldly, I am equally encouraged by his calling out by God. I’m not sure that the scripture speaks of his life and faith, but I would imagine he was a man who listened for God. How could he not? He spent most of his time standing in a field, watching sheep eat grass? I need to schedule more time in my day listening to God.

The second thing that hits me from chapter one is his confidence in knowing that God brings his own judgment on those who deserve it. These were HUGE warnings for Israel’s neighbors.

I am so easily the judge. I struggle at times when I see injustice. I’m the guy who sees someone cut an old lady off in traffic and I try to position myself to cut him off down the road. What’s wrong with me? When I’ve been hurt, or if someone I care about has been hurt by someone or something, sometimes them getting “what they deserve” takes WAY too much of my mental time.

God, give me the ability to do right without being consumed with others wrong. Give me a sense of your justice alone.

Colossians 2

Paul reiterates his desire for the Colossian church. He reminds them of his purpose that they might be (1) encouraged in heart and (2) united in love. He reminds us that through these things, we might have the “full riches of complete understanding” of Christ.

How can encouragement and unity result in full riches of understanding?

I think here is a classic example of Keep It Simple Stupid. Jesus is the real deal. Jesus is simple church. Jesus’ ways are so foundational that we so easily bypass them. Only through living as Jesus lived will we gain that perspective. It’s not academic or emotional. It’s of the spirit because Jesus walked in the Spirit. It’s putting others first and doing nothing out of selfish ambition.

Verse two and three continues, “…so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.”

No comments:

Post a Comment