Sunday, September 16, 2007

Isaiah 64, Philippians 3

Isaiah 64

Isaiah starts chapter 64 with a desire to see God ascend onto the earth in such a powerful way that all would see his magnificence. Just imagine as the mountains begin to tremble, limbs from trees ignite in flames, and water comes to a boil. There would be no doubt that some amazingly sovereign presence with unfathomable power was among us.

Certainly every knee would bow and every tongue would confess.

The question floods my mind: Will I be found faithful? What will be the condition of my heart? What will be found at the front of my mind? What will I be doing? How are my priorities reflected in my lifestyle, my daily calendar, my leisure time, the way I handle money, the way I treat my wife, how I parent, and how I treat others?

Oh Lord (vs8) “You are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand. Do not be angry beyond measure, O Lord; do not remember our sins forever. Oh, look upon us, we pray, for we are all your people.”

Philippians 3

In verse 12, Paul acknowledges that he had not yet obtained all that was experienced in Christ, or that he had been made perfect, but hey conveys his passion to “take hold of that for which Christ took hold of me.”

He mentions a key element in doing this as we strain forward: (1) To forget what is behind in our flesh. I believe this is a daily struggle as we fall short daily. Each day we are made new in Christ’s grace and sacrifice. And (2) in verse 16, he calls us to live up to what we have already attained. So many times we are distracted by what we don’t know yet. Here, Paul is clearly telling us to just be faithful to what we do know. Whew, what a relief!

Back to verse 12 and Paul’s passion to take hold of that for which Christ took hold of him. This is a reminder of not only the grace that was offered, but also a calling on each of our lives. There is a reason and a purpose that which Christ has called us out. We should strive passionately (not obsessively) towards that purpose. What a thrill!

God, continue to show us the purpose for which you have taken a hold of our lives. Father, reveal the intimate details that we might follow you intimately. Draw us closer that we might have the privilege of hearing and recognizing your voice at a whisper and your leading in a breeze. Humbly I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment