Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Isaiah 53, Galatians 4

Isaiah 53

As I read Isaiah’s words, I found myself humbly celebrating and being thankful for the sacrifice Christ made for us. His words so closely described what Christ went through as an act of the ultimate love.

Then, in a moment of pause, I remembered how significant it was that Isaiah was a prophet. God was using him to write what hadn’t happened yet. I took a moment to soak that in. What amazing prophecy! So clear that I could see the story as he told it. There is probably a dozen details predicted in chapter 53 about Jesus that was realized in his life on earth.

God I’m stunned by your exquisite plans. I’m stunned by your power and foreknowledge. I’m stunned by your amazing ways.

How can a child of God fear what lies ahead? What a spiritual struggle! God give us a faith that no uncertainty can unfold.

Galatians 4

“What has happened to all your joy?”

That was the question Paul asked the church of Galatia in verse 15. Where did it go? That was a very indicting question. I would imagine he was making a point more than truly asking. I imagine Paul was making sure they knew that he noticed it was gone.

And what did happen to their joy? I think the answer is something that as the church, we all need to be aware of. The same thing happens to us all the time.

Paul let them know about two areas of their church that changed from when they had joy. The first was in vs. 9 when he asked them why they were living under the law again and no longer living in freedom. The second was in vs. 14 when Paul reminded them of a day when they welcomed him in, as a stranger with great need, and their heart was broken for him. This reflected the condition of their focus. They were focused on bringing good will to others, no matter the sacrifice they might have to give. In vs. 15, Paul reminded them that they would have “torn out their own eyes and given them to him” if they could.

How does our ministry stay joyful and not become burdensome? How do we hold on to joy? Live in the freedom of being a child of God and be more concerned about others than yourself. Sometimes we over-simplify things. I think this was meant to stay simple.

God, give me a heart for other people above myself. Give us the courage and the peace of mind to live in freedom, not bound by the letter of the law, but as children of the King!

No comments:

Post a Comment