Sunday, September 2, 2007

Isaiah 50, Galatians 1

(Isaiah 50)

I’ve realized over the last several months that I rely too much on my own understanding. That's not a good thing.

“Was my arm too short to ransom you?
Do I lack the strength to rescue you?
By a mere rebuke I dry up the sea,
I turn rivers into a desert,
Their fish rot for lack of water
And die of thirst.
I clothe the sky with darkness
And make sackcloth it’s covering.”
The Sovereign Lord has given me an instructed tongue,
To know the word that sustains the weary.
He wakens me morning by morning,
Wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.
Isaiah 50:2b-4

In these words, I am reminded of His greatness and His provision: He provides our needs. He provides His vision. He creates the path we must follow personally and corporately. I am reminded that His Word sustains us and gives us nourishment. I feel warned that there will always be spiritual war. There will be seasons of weary. May we stay in His light as the psalmist says, “I have hidden your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.”

There are a few more themes that stand out to me from Isaiah 50. I’ll be brief.

Vs.5 Challenges us to stay the course.
Vs.6-9 Challenges us to stay above reproach in truth, honesty, and authenticity in seeking God’s leading. Who can condemn those who’s greatest desire is to honor God?
Vs.10-11 These closing verses remind me to walk in His light, not mine. In my life, I find myself lighting my own torch all the time. I think a challenge for us will always be to not lean too much on our own experiences and abilities to do any challenge ahead of us. It will always be challenging for those who are strong leaders to not get ahead of God. Many times I find my self saying “look how good I’m doing God. This is for you. Wow, I’m busy doing good stuff for you, huh God?” God is doing this. Not us. It’s not for Him (He doesn’t need us). It’s of Him.

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.” – Proverbs 3:5-6

God, please stay in front of us.

(Galatians 1)

There are many incredible things from Galatians, but I’ll keep it brief. I’m continuously encouraged by our uncompromised desire to stay true to the Good News of Christ and Christ alone. Many times in seeking to grow a church, we may soften the truth and make it more palatable.

“Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.” – Gal 1:10

If when we teach and when we worship, God is lifted up. If the Spirit of the Lord is obvious, people will want to be a part of it. I believe with all my heart that when people experience the presence of God, they will be drawn. And in turn, they will find the Truth the world is looking for.

God, may we stay committed to your Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment