Monday, March 2, 2009

Psalm 38 – Mercy

They were dumb games really. Whether it was “mercy”, “uncle”, or “bloody knuckles”, they were all fairly worthless. Except, of course, for the building of our pride and establishing the pecking order. Middle School pretty much was an exercise of figuring out who was weak and who was tough. It was a strange land of adolescent tribal sifting.

We’re taught from the beginning that calling for mercy is a sign of weakness. But once again we see the paradox in David’s life, a pattern that is completed through Christ.
“O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath. For your arrows have pierced me, and your hand has come down upon me.

Because of your wrath there is no health in my body; my bones have no soundness because of my sin. My guilt has overwhelmed me like a burden too heavy to bear.” – Psalm 38:1-4

David calls for mercy and replaces pride with humility in the form of a request, a request that acknowledges God as the one who is capable. I’m reminded today how much we need to “de-program” our brains and remember how much more the ways of God are higher than ours.
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord.

"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” – Isaiah 55:8-9

2 comments:

  1. David was a warrior. While he did not enjoy battle, he was adept. Having enemies was as common as insects at a picnic. David would always cry out to God to vanquish his enemies. What strikes me here is how wounded David is over his sin. He could physically feel the distance from God created by his transgressions. His guilt created more pain than any human enemy.
    In a time before the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, David KNEW God. David had tasted and seen how good the Lord is. The knowledge that all of that could be removed from him was too much for him to bear.
    How cavalier we, who have the benefit of the Holy Spirit’s constant presence, can be about our sin! Can’t we feel that abysmal distance between us and our Father? I want to be grieved by breakdown in fellowship between myself and God. I want to choose to stay under his wing. Thanks be to God for his faithful pursuit of my silly heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get so caught up in my own world. I get so focused on my own thoughts. My ego and pride my standing in my job all of these take my focus off of what God is doing. We are told to put our thoughts on His thoughts. You would think a 37 year old could follow directions. I always took pride in following my coach's directions. I was told what to do and I did it. Well isn't God our "coach"? The trick is to put movement to our feelings. I know I need to focus on God's thoughts. He tells me to. The movement is to actually do this. - Michael

    ReplyDelete