Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Psalm 39 – Speak no Evil


My six year old recently informed us that he would rather be homeless than have to learn how to make “right decisions”. He was having a bad day (translated: he was getting picked on by older kids in the neighborhood and I was “reminding” him not to throw gut-punches in response). This is the same kid who told us he wanted to be a professional honey taster when he grows up and has asked three times if he could have Jen’s laptop for “decoration” in his room. We’ve learned to take his comments in context. He’s constantly giving Jen writing material and me sermon illustrations.

This reminds me of something: We need to be careful with our words. When we're six, it's funny. When we're adults, it's sad. We’ve all heard that if we don’t have anything good to say, then it’s best to say nothing at all. We learned that as children, but it applies to us as adults even more. When we don’t bridal our tongue, we end up doing much damage, sounding foolish, and sometimes even hurting our own credibility. This is a difficult task. James put it this way:
“…no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.” – James 3:8

So this is a struggle. David put it this way in Psalm 39:
“I said, ‘I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth as long as the wicked are in my presence.’

But when I was silent and still, not even saying anything good, my anguish increased.” – Psalm 39:1-2

What’s interesting to me is how as adults, it seems like it’s those who are arrogant, selfish, and prideful who are always the ones who are talking, making a scene, and gaining a platform. That can be frustrating. Meanwhile, many of the wisest people I know are remaining silent. There is a time to speak in power and truth, but there is also a time to remain silent. We need to realize that we may be at risk of either speaking out of selfish anger or frustration, or possibly even be at risk of “casting our pearls to swine” (wasting our words). In both of these scenarios, it’s better not to speak.

In Psalm 39, David was expressing how hard this struggle is. He was watching his words, he was holding back, and he was frustrated by the process. But he found the strength to take the high road. He found this desire through the urgency of perspective. He found it through asking God to show him how temporary and insignificant that moment of talk might really be.
“My heart grew hot within me, and as I meditated, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "Show me, O LORD, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life.” – Psalm 39:3-4

Taking the “high road” doesn’t always mean to remain silent. But there is a time and place for everything. Sometimes it includes speaking out against injustice or just bad things. But it’s a slippery slope in making sure it comes from the right place (from God and not us). And when we know the difference, we must not be afraid to speak truth, in love, when truth should be shared.

But when we do, we should remember David’s heart request:
“Save me from all my transgressions; do not make me the scorn of fools. I was silent; I would not open my mouth, for you are the one who has done this.” – Psalm 39:8-9
And we should remember Solomon’s counsel:
“Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you.” Proverbs 2:11

So I'm learning to do this. I would imagine it's a life long journey for most of us. But just the understanding and desire to say what is right, and at the right time, is a good start. I think we'll find great benefit from applying this truth. We'll cause less damage, we'll eat our foot less often, and maybe people will take the words we do say more seriously. More than anything, maybe our words will be more edifying than are idle or negative.

Father, I echo David's prayer in verse 8 and 9, "Save me from all my transgressions; do not make me the scorn of fools. I was silent; I would not open my mouth, for you are the one who has done this". So help me to be silent when I should be silent. In the same way, Father, give me wisdom to speak words of truth with power and confidence. And at the right time. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. Good word, Brandon. My big struggle is knowing when to speak up and when to shut up. - Stephanie Groutas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Professional Honey Taster!!!!! I was crying I was laughing so hard!!!!! - Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  3. 39:5 You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath. Selah
    39:7 "But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you.

    Know it like the back of my hand...I can count on one hand...a bird in the hand...
    I googled “hand” idioms and the first hit had about 200 from which to choose. Who knew?!
    We all understand that our “days are a mere handbreadth”, after all who can’t relate to the feeling of blinking and a decade has passed. It made me start thinking about the hand of God. Isaiah describes how God laid the foundations of the earth and spread out the heavens with his hand (48:13). When the psalmist sings praises of God’s enduring love (136:10-12), he accounts how God led his people out of captivity with mighty hand and outstretched arm. And one of my personal favorites...Isaiah tells us that God has us engraved on the palm of his hand (49:16) What? God has a me tattoo?! Cool.
    Just like David’s conclusion in vs 7, I know that through all my struggles, victories and utter failures, my hope is in God. After all, I’m in good hands! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Schmecks, thanks for all your input. Can't help but wonder who you are? any chance you'd let us in on the secret?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my wife was in high school her basketball coach was a master speaker. I was lucky enough to teach with this coach for a few years. What I found was that it wasn't the words this coach used that made her a great speaker. It was her timing. Whenever she was asked a question, you could see her pause and choose her words very carefully. By taking time and going over her words this coach was able to say the right thing almost every time. When we react in emotion we seem to say the wrong thing. We do a lot of apologizing instead of saying what we truly want to say. - Michael

    ReplyDelete