Thursday, March 5, 2009

Esther 2 – Special Plans


I love to remind my kids that God has special plans for their lives and that I can’t wait to see what they are. There are a couple of reasons I do this: (1) I hope it’s an encouraging word to them. (2) I hope they begin to believe it themselves and it can play just a small role in their desire to discover God’s best for their lives. (3) I hope they become visionary thinkers. But more than anything, (4) I just really believe He does.

Mordecai felt this way about Esther. We see it in chapter two and we’ll continue to see it more and more as the story unfolds.
“But Esther had kept secret her family background and nationality just as Mordecai had told her to do, for she continued to follow Mordecai's instructions as she had done when he was bringing her up.” – Esther 2:20

I think one of the greatest tragedies is realized when we feel as a child of God, that we have nothing to offer the Kingdom of God. This is simply not true. Each one of us has a place and an opportunity to be a part of His mission. It’s sad when we settle for less. It’s unfulfilling when we think we are only to be receivers of God’s movement. There’s a void when we sit on the sideline of faith and watch others get in the game, and then wonder why we feel like there’s got to be something more.

Be encouraged. But also be challenged. God has something for you to do. There’s a role for you to play. It’s an important role. And it’s not “for” Him, it’s “with” Him and “of” Him. You’re simply not alone.

So I’m pondering this. For those of us who believe in God… the God who created the universe… how could we think it logical to live anything but a life fully committed to pursuing His plan for our lives? It makes sense that the only place we’ll find the fulfillment, contentment, and wholeness He promises is in the place of His purpose. It may not be easy, but it certainly makes logical sense.
“But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.” – Psalm 33:11
God has a really big plan. He has a plan to reconcile and renew the world through His Son. Do we take the time to ponder how our once broken relationship with a sovereign God can now be restored? Do we consider the role we might play in pointing others towards realizing the same?

God has a plan for us to be a part of His work. Just as I can’t wait to see what that looks like in my kids, I think God values seeing us realize the same in ourselves. As a pastor, it’s amazing to watch it happen.

4 comments:

  1. Special plans....
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jer 29:11)

    Special plans, indeed. Praise Him.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther 2 – Hiding Faith

    V 10 Esther had not revealed her nationality and family background, because Mordecai had forbidden her to do so.

    Should you hide your faith? I had a great debate with a guy recently that I am getting to know and with whom I am becoming friends. We were talking about the challenge of living out our faith at work. I said, “Look, in the jobs I have, it is not like I can just wear my Super Jesus T-Shirt out on stage and preach at the organization”. He said, “Well you could”. He is right; I could. But then I think about all the discrimination laws in the workplace – will I get my employer sued because some folks think others are getting special treatment because they are part of a secret club. I am then reminded of Jesus admonition to the disciples in Matthew 10:32 – 33

    Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.

    And now I think to myself, my friend is right, I could. Should I? What if I don’t? Then I look at 1 Peter 3:15

    But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect

    Now I am a bit confused until I reflect upon Esther. Esther had not revealed her nationality. Esther was not forthright with her faith. Yet her faith remained in her and God in His sovereignty used her. His plan did not require her to shout out her religion, nor did His plan halt when she neglected to tell Hegai about her faith.

    I am reminded that God is not a little old lady that needs our help crossing the street. He will use us – not the other way around. He will know that the revelation of our faith to others or the decision in a moment not to put our faith on our sleeve is either a result of discernment, gentleness and respect or a result of disowning our Father before men.

    He will know if we are hiding our faith. No man or woman really will. And that is good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true Brandon.
    As followers, God not only preparing us...He is stretching us and He is sending us. I love hearing folks who are in the middle of that tension of God really laying something on their heart (maybe for the first time) ...and Satan telling them "it's too big, what if you fail, someone else will do it".... I love encouraging them to press on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The plan part is true. It is also the easiest part to handle. I know God has a plan for all of us. The waiting on God to reveal His plan is the hard part. Making sure you understand God's plan and what and where and when He wants you to do is the part that is hard. The closer we get to God the easier it is to figure this out. The closer we get to God the more the enemy does not like it. SO, there is the conumdrum. We must be close and get closer to God to enjoy and understand Him. It is like a relationship with a spouse. We want to be with them and soak up every minute. Sometimes though, we get in a dissagreement and it is hard to be around them. We must trust in our love and keep on keeping on. - Michael

    ReplyDelete