Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Psalm 46 - Opinions

What’s your opinion of yourself? Seriously.

Like when our mom or dad used to say when we got a little out of line, “Who do you think you are?”, maybe we should take a moment to think that through. We all think something of ourselves. Maybe we view ourselves too lowly. Maybe it’s pretty squared with who we really are (probably not). Or maybe we think too much of ourselves, especially in comparison to other people.

The reality is, how we think about our selves impacts how we respond to and feel about others. It may determine whom we listen to, what opinions we’ll adopt, what our priorities are, how secure or defensive we are, and how much we may need their validation. While who we think we are may determine how we respond to others, who others think we are will determine how they respond to us. And we’re not always starting from the same point.

So let's make the jump, what does our lives (how we respond) tell us about our opinion of God? Seriously. How do we feel and what do we believe about Him?
“God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.

Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,

Though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging. (Selah)”

-Psalm 46:1-3

"Therefore" is a really big word.

God is our refuge and strength… Therefore… we will not fear. Therefore we can trust that His ways are higher than our ways. Therefore we can lean on His ways and His understanding. Since, what we think about and how we feel about God directly impacts how we respond to God, is God our refuge and strength? Do we really see Him as that?

Honestly, many times we tolerate God. While we may fool ourselves into thinking He’s okay with that, or even fool ourselves into thinking we’re not doing that, “that” is not good. We “allow” Him to exist on the margins of our lives, and as long as He doesn’t get too involved, we’re okay. But then something goes wrong, a trial of life hits, or things spin out of our control. Then what do we do?

While God will not simply be “tolerated” (that's another study), He is still full of amazing Grace. Baffles me really. Why does He put up with us? I’m not going to answer that. Instead, today, I’m going to rest in Him. He is my refuge and my strength. Selah.

Father, it’s simply unreal how we treat you at times. Forgive us for our lack of perspective, faith, perseverance, discipline, effort, and love. Because of Christ, I don’t get what I really deserve. Thank you for your grace. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. Really good entry, Brandon. Great way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never thought about like that. I had never thought I was short changing God by what I thought of myself. In the last couple of years, my wife has said she thought my confidence was shaken. I was starting to think maybe I wasn't a good teacher. I thought that I was learning how to be humble. Maybe God was teaching me to be humble? I know I have a hard time with this life lesson. Still, I was saying God was not enough. How could I think I was worthless when the King of Kings made me out of nothing?!?!?!?!?! Thanks for the insight!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does he put up with us, indeed. I can barely put up with myself! God, please help me to keep my eye on the ball today... not my ball, but yours. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement and insight guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Psalm 46 – With us

    V7 & 11 - The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.

    How many times in the same chapter of the bible does the author repeat himself? Not that many, so when it happens I pay attention.

    This Psalm is about God as a refuge for His people, to be exalted above all nations. No one knows who wrote it and under what circumstance, but clearly Israel was rescued and protected during a war or some other calamity. In times of natural disaster or man-made strife; God is big enough and not only is He big enough, but He is here. Present with us

    The Lord is with us – do we really get that? Yesterday I read “Dinner with a Perfect Stranger” – you have probably already read it. Good quick read that makes you think about your relationship with God. The main character is invited to dinner at a nice restaurant with Jesus. Toward the end of the dinner when the character asks, “So when you say God offers eternal life…” Jesus responds, “He is offering you himself. God comes to live within you forever. When you have me, you have Life itself. With a capital L.” He goes on, “Eternal life isn’t something that starts when you die, it’s something that starts the minute you receive me…I come to live within you”

    Do we get that? If someone said you could have the greatest superhero in the world hold your hand and be with you night and day, would you say yes? Would you do what he recommends?

    Amazing, the God that 'spoke and it was' gives us that gift. He is willing to live within us personally and guide us. Why would I say no?

    ReplyDelete