Monday, December 22, 2008

Psalm 2 - OT Gospel

The Pslams are most often songs of celebration and proclamation. Psalm 2 is most certainly a celebration of the coming Gospel. What an amazing prophetic word of the coming Christ. This week we celebrate Christmas. This is the birth of the King and the one spoken of in Psalm 2.

"I have installed my King on Zion, my holy hill." vs.6


Those in power were certainly threatened by this coming King. We know the story of Herod taking the lives of new born baby boys in hopes of taking the life of Jesus and Pilate conspiring years later as well.

“The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers gather together against the LORD and against his Anointed One.” vs.2


What an amazing reminder of God’s greatness and protection. Not only did He know, but He knew. He always has and always will. How ridiculous for us to remember it any other way.

“The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them.” vs.4


Every effort of those who rise up against the Lord is in worthless. Even our own plans which stand in opposition of him. I’m reminded today that His plans cannot be thwarted. He will do what He sets out to do. His promises are true. He is able. We can have confidence in this as a child of God. So the rhetorical question is asked…

“Why do the nations conspire and the peoples plot in vain?” vs.1


And the hope we share with the Psalmist…

“I will proclaim the decree of the LORD: He said to me, "You are my Son; today I have become your Father.” vs.7


As John Wesley put it, “There is nothing in this psalm which is not applicable to Christ, but some things which are not all applicable to David.” There are threats denounced against the adversaries of Christ's kingdom, promises made to Christ, and finally counsel given to all:

“Ask of me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession.” vs.8

“Serve the LORD with fear and rejoice with trembling.” vs.11

“Blessed are all who take refuge in him.” vs.12

2 comments:

  1. what happened to Faith Parley?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find great confidence in knowing that God has control of everything. I think the One who created the stars and the heavens knows a little bit more about what I should be doing then me. It is the walk of faith that brings us closer to God. It is one to thing to know and talk about God controling everything but, when you actually live out God controling your life then you take it up a whole nother level.

    ReplyDelete