Wednesday, December 17, 2008

2 Sam 22 – Life Cycles

Something I’m beginning to surrender to is the reality of the ebb and flow of life. Sounds a little weird to say, but there are certainly rhythms to be found. They seem to cycle. And they have both up beats and down beats.

I think we set ourselves up for failure when we expect every moment to be a high time. We do the same when we assume God has nothing to do with the downs. We learn in this flux. Whether in trial or victory, we are being shaped.

This is especially true in our sin or even our righteousness. In His justice, God deals with us accordingly.

David gives us some insight to this in chapter 22. We know he’s had down times in life. Many were a result to sin. The whole "Bathsheba-gate" thing almost took him under. There were times God seemed absent, yet he still finds a season in life where he has the confidence to write,

“The Lord has dealt with me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands he has rewarded me. For I have kept the ways of the Lord; I have not done evil by turning from my God. All his laws are before me; I have not turned away from his decrees. I have been blameless before him and have kept myself from sin. The Lord has rewarded me according to my righteousness, according to my cleanness in his sight.” – 2 Samuel 22:21-25


I don’t know if this is a better reflection of David’s ability to forget what he’s repented for or him just lavishing in a sweet season with the Lord (I would imagine a bit of both), but either way he acknowledges the appropriateness of God and is finding peace in this moment.

What a great lesson to learn.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are right on the money. It is easy to say thank you during good times. We must remember that God is doing something with us when we are in the wilderness, darkness or whatever you want to call them. The process of growing close to God is not always rose colored.

    ReplyDelete