Monday, December 8, 2008

2 Sam 16 - Throwing Stones

When I was a teenager growing up in western Colorado, we used to spend our summer days on the Colorado River. Most of the time we’d tie inner-tubes together with rope and float for miles to a downstream destination where we had dropped a friends jeep or truck earlier in the day. It was always a place strategically picked out for a day of swimming, jumping from bridges, and listening to loud music with the fella’s.

Along the way we would often find ourselves stopping, rummaging around, and quite often it ended in someone eventually picking up a rock and throwing it “near” another person. The initial act was typically intended to simply splash the other person, but it always escalated. Many times into full on, long distance, rock fight. We were never serious, always laughing, and we never really tried to hit each other (although an accidental hit on a leg or arm was quite often the only way the ridiculous testosterone driven activity would ever end). Luckily, no one ever got hit in the head. We were simply idiots. We had no idea what we were really risking. And there was simply no intentionality behind our senseless pitching of the stones.

Projecting a rock at someone was a very significant act in Biblical times. We see them come with words (cursing) and accusation in the New Testament. But they are based on Old Testament law and the judgment that would follow certain sins. It usually ended in death. Obviously we don’t see an official “stoning” taking place in 2 Samuel, not even close, but the symbolism is there through the cursing and throwing of stones by Shemei.

“Then Abishai son of Zeruiah said to the king, "Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? Let me go over and cut off his head." 2 Samuel 16:9


David is in an interesting position here. While his men are ready to fight to the death in defending his honor, instead he replies with a new attitude reflecting a new perspective.

“But the king said, "What do you and I have in common, you sons of Zeruiah? If he is cursing because the LORD said to him, 'Curse David,' who can ask, 'Why do you do this?' " 2 Samuel 16:10


The King of yesteryear would have cut Shemei’s head off himself. But David recognizes that he is experiencing the fruit of his sin. And he is hopeful that how he reacts to even this ridiculous moment might somehow create an opportunity to be reconciled with God.

“David then said to Abishai and all his officials, "My son, who is of my own flesh, is trying to take my life. How much more, then, this Benjamite! Leave him alone; let him curse, for the LORD has told him to. It may be that the LORD will see my distress and repay me with good for the cursing I am receiving today." 2 Samuel 16:11-12


Whether David was right or not and whether or not Shemei was acting from a word from the Lord to “throw stones”, David’s heart was leaning in the right direction. For the first time we see a warriors heart denied. David recognizes that the hand of God is distant from him, he sees the fruit, and he is willing to not only deny himself but also search for anything that might represent the movement of God.

The place of searching is a good place to be.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe David was getting older and was growing up? I find myself less and less with my "honor" hurt these days. When I was a young coach, I would climb up on my soap box in a heart beat. When I started teaching I knew it all and everybody had to listen. If they didn't listen and get worked as I was about the wrongness in the world and the wrongness that some of our children face, they just didn't care or where burnt out. No I find myself taking a different approach. I am going to do my "job" for God. If you think I am not doing it or am doing it wrong, that is ok. In the end your thoughts don't really matter. If I can lay my head down at night and know that what I did that day brought a smile to God's face then I have done what needed to be done. Now, I am not slacking in my job but, the earthly thoughts of man just don't seem to make as much difference in my mind these days. The praise is nice but, I have come to realize after much teaching that God's thoughts of me are the only ones that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right Michael. David was certainly growing up in faith... and also was growing up in life. Things certainly seem to bother us less the older we get. It's something we learn as we realize how "not a big deal" things are in relationship to what we might have once thought. Good catch.

    ReplyDelete