Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Psalm 7 - Motive

The best leadership book I’ve read in five years is “Leadership and Self Deception” by The Arbinger Institute. While it’s title is very revealing, hidden inside are self exploring scenarios that ring amazingly true and give surprising insight to areas we are often blind too. It’s amazing how much we fail to look inward for hidden deficiencies when evaluating leadership, whether it’s in our church or secular organization.

Why is that? Is it fear or pride? Are we really that ignorant or in denial? Or is it that we really just don’t want to know or deal with our private issues that spawn from personal insecurities, perspectives, wounds, inabilities and/or nurture? In leadership, there’s a huge difference between those who want to know and those who don’t. One thing worse than being ignorant, is to be ignorant of our ignorance. It’s revealed in whether or not we lead (or even live) in honesty and confidence, or insecurity and fear. It’s no different in our faith journey.

A scripture that is often misused is found in Proverbs 16. Verse 3 says, “commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.” This verse is commonly used in a “name it and claim it” kind of a way. If we don’t really know what to do, then just ask God to bless it and He will (or at least we hope that He will).

This is not the point of this scripture. Instead, this scripture is a great measuring stick of motive. If we cannot truly commit or dedicate a decision in full disclosure to our God, then it’s a great indicator that something is wrong. Vs. 2 says that, “All man’s ways seem innocent to him, but motives are weighed by the Lord.” And vs. 4 closes the thought by stating, “The Lord works out everything for his own ends…”

David is using this same logic in measuring motive in Psalm 7.

“O LORD my God, if I have done this and there is guilt on my hands - if I have done evil to him who is at peace with me or without cause have robbed my foe - then let my enemy pursue and overtake me; let him trample my life to the ground and make me sleep in the dust.” - Psalm 7:3-5

David is being heart level honest before God. Are we? Not that often. When was the last time we said, “God if my motive is not completely pure here… then just burn me up right now, let me get what I deserve.”

It’s critical that in order to be honest with God, we must search our own hearts and be honest with ourselves. Who are we really fooling? It’s not God. It’s only our selves and others around us.

When we live and lead in ignorance, we hurt those around us, in leadership we hurt our staff and those involved with our organization. In faith, the circle of hurt is closer and bigger than we know. We hurt our spouses, our children, our friends, our coworkers… and ourselves.

Father, I can’t pray like David. Instead, I have to ask today that I don’t get what I deserve. I do pray that you search my heart and show me the ways that I choose self over you, but I ask for your continued Grace and Mercy. Thank you for your plan of redemption. Thank you for reconciling us through Your Son. Thank you for your patience. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. It got me thinking. When people in the bible prayed to "get what they deserved" such as in Psalm 7:3-5, I feel that a better prayer may have been for the strength to fix any wrongs they may have done, and the clarity to see any impurities in their motives. I think that that is also a more useful thing to pray for in our lives. I believe it does more good in the world to fix our mistakes to the best of our abilities, and try to see through our self deceptions than to be destroyed for imperfection. I'm still thinking about this. I'm not sure I really have my thoughts completely clarified in my head.

    Also wanted to mention that I too found "Leadership & Self-Deception" to be an amazing book. I first found it at http://www.readhowyouwant.com/pcsWebUI/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=13226, which carries the large print edition. I think everyone should read that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lavinia for your words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying to get what we deserve, hhmmmmm ..... Well we know the answer, sin equals death. So I think that we don't pray (at least me) for what we deserve out of being a chicken. I have battled ego for a long time now. Ever since I started playing football. I am afraid that whatever I put myself in 100% will turn into a sin of ego. I know that for me that is why I don't pray specifically for things to get done. I play it safe and just pray that God's will be done. Maybe I should take a little step and pray for specific things to happen?? Maybe I should pray for our cross country program and my classroom students to have success?

    ReplyDelete