Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Psalm 3 - Selah

“Many are saying of me, "God will not deliver him." Selah. But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. Selah.” – Psalm 3:2-4


This is the first of over 70 verses that use the word Selah in the Old Testament. The overwhelming majority is found in the Psalms. It’s a common use in the suspension of music, a pause by definition. But the root of this word means to “hang” or to weigh. To not just pause… but to pause for reason. To take it in. To soak up what was said. To not take it lightly, instead to fully absorb it’s value or significance.

This day I pray we can each “take it in”. To find a moment to pause and soak it up. Or as one of the Psalms says in just 31 more chapters, “Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.” – Psalm 34:8

2 comments:

  1. Brandon,
    "Selah" is similar to Sabbath. An opportunity to stop, reflect, and be strengthened by the Eternal One. Well said, brother. Our church plant in Monroe, WA has been named Selah. People today need Selah and Sabbath. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When things are just right, when they are lined up ever so perfect, you can feel it. It is a time, for me, I know I am where He wants me and doing with He wants. I love those moments and wish they would never leave. But, part of what makes them special is that they only happen ever so often.

    ReplyDelete