Friday, September 26, 2008

Ruth 1 “It Still Hurts”

Ruth 1 – Brandon Hatmaker “It Still Hurts”
Austin New Church – South Austin Cares
Friday, September 26th, 2008

"Don't call me Naomi," she told them. "Call me Mara, because the Almighty has made my life very bitter. I went away full, but the LORD has brought me back empty. Why call me Naomi? The LORD has afflicted me; the Almighty has brought misfortune upon me." – Ruth 1:20

It’s so easy to skip over Naomi's pain in chapter one and go on to the story of Ruth and Boaz. Naomi had lost her husband and both of her sons. No one should have to outlive a child, needless to say both of them. I cannot imagine the grief that would cause. But don’t forget her husband had died as well… Naomi had no person to heal with but her daughters-in-law. This was real pain.

But we know how the story goes, right? We know how God literally redeems the situation and a son was born whose lineage just two generations later would birth King David, and eventually Jesus. Although those victories were born out of extreme pain, Ruth would have never married Boaz with out the death of a son and husband.

It’s so easy to look at someone else’s pain and say, “Just trust God, He is faithful”. It’s easy because it’s true, and especially when it’s someone else’s pain. But although we know God will be proven faithful… it still hurts and we should never forget that.

So Today I'm thinking of all those I know who are in pain. I think of all of those who are suffering in this moment who have lost a loved one, are from broken homes, have broken relationships, are jobless, maybe homeless, are living under circumstances that are from things that are out of their control or even those that are from personal mistakes, for those experiencing consequences of others actions, the list goes on…

May God comfort you in your season of need. Forgive me if and when I have ever neglected your feelings. Forgive us as the church when we are not understanding or worse for not responding to your pain. May God teach each of us how to humble ourselves and care for one another. May God give us compassionate and empathetic hearts as we wait for His rescue and healing.

2 comments:

  1. I love your heart too Brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read the story of Ruth, I am in awe of Naomi's heart for adoption. She did not have to allow Ruth to go back home with her. She could have left her behind anytime she wanted to. Ruth couldn't provide for herself yet, she allowed this girl to go with her. Since we adopted our youngest three children, I look at the world differently. There are so many people out there that just need love. All they need is for someone to love them no matter what. We all make mistakes, daily. God still loved us enough to send His Son to die for us. How can we keep love from our fellow man?

    ReplyDelete