Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Judges 14 “Amazed Again”

Judges 14 – Brandon Hatmaker “Amazed Again”
Austin New Church – South Austin Cares
Tuesday, August 16th, 2008

“The Spirit of the LORD came upon him in power so that he tore the lion apart with his bare hands as he might have torn a young goat.” Judges 14:6

I’ve never tried to tear a young goat apart with my bare hands. Probably none of us could do that. I saw a guy on the “power team” tear a phone book in half once… looked pretty hard to do (and pretty ridiculous, especially in those pants). Yet when the power of the Lord came upon Samson, even the tearing of a lion was a simple task. It was a brilliant picture of both protection and power.

Just as God’s “foolishness” is wiser than our wisdom, his “weakness” is also stronger than our strength.

After spending yesterday just east of Houston delivering supplies to those impacted by the hurricane, my mind is stuck on the mightiness and the protection of God. I can’t help but think about his sovereignty in how He led specific evacuating families to our home and eventually to the homes of others at ANC that we might be a part of their lives… if anything, for this moment (and hopefully beyond). Our lives are forever changed. I think about His divine intervention in allowing us to worship together through our first “interpreted” service last Sunday. I consider His strength when I see the affects of a hurricane literally bringing a city to it’s knees, yet I see the same level of strength in the children of God rallying to help one another in times of crisis.

Neighborhoods that you and I would never go into after dark were transformed into places of humility and thanksgiving over the gift of water and diapers. I’ve never seen canned tuna and a bag of ice bring so much joy. It’s just a glimpse of the many facets of God’s power. And I’m amazed.

The surprising emotion each time is fulfillment. I don’t know why I’m always surprised to feel it, yet I’ve never felt so complete as when I get the chance to serve along side other people who are serving those who can’t help themselves. Especially when it comes with personal sacrifice.

I know this is a long way from the story of Samson, but I don’t really care. God is amazing. I just wish more of us would chase after this side of Him. Jesus told us from the beginning to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment