Thursday, September 4, 2008

Judges 6 “Prove It”

Judges 6 – Brandon Hatmaker “Prove It”
Austin New Church – South Austin Cares
Thursday, September 4th, 2008

“Gideon replied, "If now I have found favor in your eyes, give me a sign that it is really you talking to me. Please do not go away until I come back and bring my offering and set it before you." And the LORD said, "I will wait until you return." – Judges 6:17-18

I can identify with Gideon. So funny. Many times I ask for God to prove that He’s really there. I forget the past so easily and I’m fearful that he’ll stop moving in the future. As if one time wasn’t enough, Gideon even pushes his luck…

“Then Gideon said to God, "Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece. This time make the fleece dry and the ground covered with dew." That night God did so. Only the fleece was dry; all the ground was covered with dew.” – Judges 6:39-40

We all seek evidences of God’s hand at times. He also knows when we’re seeking it for the wrong reason. God knew Gideon’s heart and motives… that’s why He chose him (and also probably the reason God didn’t turn him into a pillar of salt). Once again we see the significance of the inward verses the outward. I’m reminded today how we should check our own hearts… not quarterly or monthly… but probably daily. It’s so easy to even deceive ourselves.

"You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of men, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight.” – Luke 16:15

1 comment:

  1. I am always amazed at Gideon's bravery, or foolishness, when I read these lines. I wish I could say the same words to God. There have been so many crossroads I have been at. I wish I could say, "OK God if this is true then make this happen." I keep coming back to, "Speak to me what You would have me do." That comes back to the need for a strong relationship with God. The need for daily time one on one with God is unmeasurable.

    ReplyDelete