Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Judges 4 “Favor”

Judges 4 – Brandon Hatmaker “Favor”
Austin New Church – South Austin Cares
Monday, September 2nd, 2008

“Barak said to her, "If you go with me, I will go; but if you don't go with me, I won't go." – Judges 4:8

This is a common theme for me right now. I can’t help but think about when Moses said the exact same thing to God after he was told that Israel was too “stiff necked” and they would have to move forward without God’s presence. Moses simply knew the cost of going without God.

Barak didn’t want Deborah to go because she was a mighty warrior. He wanted her to go because she walked with the Lord and He knew she had His favor. He wanted that, and more so, realized that he needed God’s presence by his side.

At first this made me think about my desire to be like Barak, to be the one called out, and have others around me who seem to walk in the presence of the Lord. Seems like the most obvious sentiment after reading this story. But the more I reflect on it, the greater I realized my desire is instead to be the one walking with others in courage because I’ve heard a convincing Word from God. This is the kind of word that would only come to one who was abiding in Him and experiencing His favor. This is my desire not because of who that would make me, but because I would then know I was walking and leading in His light. My greatest fear, is to be leading absent of His hand.

Father, this morning I pray for your wisdom and leading. I pray for continued “revelation” that I might lead and live with a Spiritual posture. I ask that you would continue to reveal your ways, your direction, and your timing. I pray for your underserved favor. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. The idea that popped up for me was, "How many times do they have to be saved by God?" Once again the people forgot God, turned from God. They just didn't do what they were suppose to do. My first thought was how many times until they learn. The second thought was, how cool is that!?!?!?!? If God kept coming back to them all the time, won't He keep coming back to me when I call to Him?!?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete