Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Judges 15 “Jawbone”

Judges 15 – Brandon Hatmaker “Jawbone”
Austin New Church – South Austin Cares
Wednesday, August 17th, 2008

“As he approached Lehi, the Philistines came toward him shouting. The Spirit of the LORD came upon him in power. The ropes on his arms became like charred flax, and the bindings dropped from his hands. Finding a fresh jawbone of a donkey, he grabbed it and struck down a thousand men.” Judges 15:14-15

Quick thought for today: I’m so tired from this week’s festivities. In light of the recent Hurricane in Houston, we’ve been hosting dozens of people in our homes… making supply and relief trips to the coast… and I’m simply spent. It’s funny how I feel a little useless today (I know it's just cause I'm tired... I can be honest too, right?). I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with the journey in thinking about all there is to do in our community, world, and even our church… yet I found encouragement in these words.

Surely if God can use the Jawbone of an ass to do his work, he can use any of us. That’s a pleasant thought, huh?

2 comments:

  1. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I feel spent I sort of find it refreshing to know I am not in control. God is the one that is running the show. He will tell me what He wants me to do. When I get to this point, I find it nice to think He is the one making the final directions. He will place me where He wants me. He will make His plan come true in my life. He will take care of everything. The thing that He asks me to do is to be obedient. I have to follow His lead. When I am tired, He makes my feet mover. When I am tired He gives me that little feeling that won't leave me alone until my work is done. It is a strange things, this walk with God. We are to run it as if in a marathon. Great things come in little steps. One at a time and all that. I tell my kids running is simply right foot in front of the left then repeat. But, our lives are vapors. You are right there is a lot of work to do on this planet. There is a lot of work to do in our communities. The exciting thing is that God has already figured out exactly what we are to do.

    ReplyDelete