Thursday, September 11, 2008

Judges 11 “Making Stuff Up”

Judges 11 – Brandon Hatmaker “Making Stuff Up”
Austin New Church – South Austin Cares
Thursday, September 11th, 2008

“And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD : "If you give the Ammonites into my hands, whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the LORD's, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering." – Judges 11:30-31

The first “thing” out of the door to meet him after his “triumph” was his only daughter. What a tragic story. It’s one of great debate as well. Many feel it’s a story of unconditional commitment and loyalty to a pledge, some feel that there is no evidence that Jephthah actually took the life of his daughter, and some believe he truly did.

Scripture tells us that it’s better to never make an oath, than to make one, and break it.

For me, I see a man that (at least in this chapter) we see no evidence that God asked him to do what he did. It appears to be an offering of his own doing. The consequence was great pain. This story has caused and still causes people to question the heart of God.

My greatest takeaway today is to carefully and prayerfully consider what God is definitely asking me or calling me to do and to consider what things I am doing that might be of my own initiative. Many times we get so concerned about the things God has never put on our agenda that we forget about or neglect the things He has. Makes me wonder what pain could have been avoided and what opportunities could have been realized.

Father, teach us to be more concerned and willing to do what You’ve actually told us to do. Teach us to eliminate our man-made pursuits and fabricated ways of showing you our appreciation and loyalty. You already know our hearts God. Teach us to find contentment and peace through simply doing what You say. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. That is a great prayer, one that we should all repeat everyday. How easy it is to "customize" what we believe to be God's plan to suit our own wants and needs.
    When I was doing my devo earlier I was thinking about ways that God may want me to serve, things that I might really not want to do but God wants me to do. Jesus didn't want to go to the cross, but He did so that God may be glorified. Maybe I should start making these WAY smaller sacrifices also so God may be glorifed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am blown away by the commitment that Jephthah makes. I wish I could say the same thing. I don't think I would be capable of doing this. I don't make a lot of deals with God. I know I might say something I could not follow through on and that is worse than not making a deal.

    ReplyDelete