Monday, September 1, 2008

Judges 3 “Cut to the Core”

Judges 3 – Brandon Hatmaker “Cut to the Core”
Austin New Church – South Austin Cares
Friday, July 29th, 2008

“The Israelites did evil in the eyes of the LORD; they forgot the LORD their God…” Judges 3:7

Chapter three tells the story of Ehud who made a “Double Edged” sword to take the life of Eglon, the King of Moab. Ehud was clearly the man called of God to deliver the Israelites from the oppression of the Moabites, in fact vs. 15, called him a deliverer.

The images we can capture from this passage are astounding. The double edged sword is a significant image used throughout the NT to describe the word of God, in fact in Revelation it is used to describe the tongue of Jesus. I can’t help to see the intentionality of the description of the “fatness” of Eglon and relate it to how God repeatedly accuses us through the prophets of our gluttonous efforts and worship while we neglect the things that are important.

My mind goes immediately to Amos 4 that says, “Hear this word, you cows of Bashan on Mount Samaria, you women who oppress the poor and crush the needy and say to your husbands, "Bring us some drinks!" Throughout scripture Bashan is referenced as a plush land with rich pastures, thick forests, and beautiful extensive plains. It was literally known for having the fattest cows.

I can’t help but think about how the words and life of Christ simply cut through our self-bloating faith and pride.

Today I’m just wondering how it came to this. Verse 7 gives us two indictments (1) they did evil in the eyes of the Lord and (2) they simply forgot the Lord. But what came first, the doing of evil or the forgetting of their Lord? Probably both.

I can see how when we do “evil” in the eyes of the Lord, that the result would be a distance between us and our God. This most certainly would create a sense of “Forgetfulness”. I’m certain that this is just one of the reasons Jesus called us to obey His commands and to live as He lived. That we might not forget.

But when it starts with a distancing or a drifting away, when we forget, it can result in evil as well. This reminds me how important it is that we stay in God’s Word, remain in in prayer, and that we stay close. This is why Jesus said to “remain” in Him. This is why we are called to “hide” God’s Word in our hearts, “that we might not sin against him.”

Either way… it’s a double-edged action as well. One we should seek to understand and fight. With everything we’ve got.

God, I sit hear and think, “After all you’ve done, how in the world could the Israelites forget you?” Then I remember how I do it every day when I loose my temper. I forget you every day when I choose my selfish ways and deny yours. I do it when my pride takes credit for your work. I do it when I care more about myself than I do others. I do it every day when I think more about my plans than I do your plans. Forgive me, father.

1 comment:

  1. 7 The Israelites did evil in the eyes of the LORD; they forgot the LORD their God and served the Baals and the Asherahs. 8 The anger of the LORD burned against Israel so that he sold them into the hands of Cushan-Rishathaim king of Aram Naharaim, [b] to whom the Israelites were subject for eight years. 9 But when they cried out to the LORD, he raised up for them a deliverer, Othniel son of Kenaz, Caleb's younger brother, who saved them.

    This once again shows God's love. The people did evil in the eyes of the Lord; they forgot Him. They did everything they should not do. STILL God was there when they called out to Him. Not only did God answer them, He saved them. All God wants is for us to ask Him to help us out. We get so caught up in blaming Him and asking why and be miserable that we forget to ask God to help us. When we forget Him, we fall out of conversation with Him. It is so crucial for us to have daily time with God one on one.

    ReplyDelete