Friday, May 23, 2008

Romans 3 "God's not Dumb"

Romans 3 – Brandon Hatmaker “God’s Not Dumb”
Friday, May 23, 2008

Let's see... Romans....
“Depravity of man”: chapter one, check.
“God’s righteous judgment”: chapter two, check.
“God’s faithfulness”, let’s see chapter three…
-Propitiation, vs. 25, check.
-Atonement, vs. 25, check.
-Justification, vs. 24 & 26, check
-Redemption, vs. 24, check
So... “God’s faithfulness” chapter three, check.

Charles Hodge wrote back in the 1800’s of Romans 3 that, “All true doctrine tends to humble men, and to exalt God; and all true religion is characterized by humility and reverence.” Wow, what an offering and reality.

I’m a “freedom in Christ” guy. But with all this doctrine, I think it’s a good reminder that Paul spends so much time in this part of the letter reminding his readers that this gift of doctrine is not a license to live “wheels off”. Paul knows the culture of whom he is writing to. He knows their baseline cultural narrative. He knows their selfish nature and that they may instantly (probably naturally) see this as an opportunity to live in the flesh.

He reminds them essentially by saying, “Hey guys, God’s not dumb. He sees us, He knows us, don’t fool yourselves. Even you know your logic is not logical.” Just check out what he says in verse 7 and 8, “Someone might argue, "If my falsehood enhances God's truthfulness and so increases his glory, why am I still condemned as a sinner?" Why not say—as we are being slanderously reported as saying and as some claim that we say—"Let us do evil that good may result"? Their condemnation is deserved.”

Our temptations are similar. We too easily exchange breaking away from what we’ve considered tradition to “wheels off” theology and lifestyles. We can pretty much justify anything in our own minds… and probably find a scripture or two that seems to support it. This is nothing new. We should learn from history. We are a people of extremes. We need to understand our nature as well. That’s probably why Paul reminds us so often of our depravity (pretty much in each chapter of Romans).

In the same way that I can understand their “Wheels off” temptation, but on the flip side, I kind of liken being a person who grew up in the church to being a first century Jew in resisting change. Obviously, the difference is Christ (which is all the difference in the world) but I feel like some of the same things they struggled with and kept them from moving forward in faith are most naturally foundation in some our struggles in the church today. I’m convinced it’s a generational trend that will continue, but it’s so hard to break a tradition that has always been taught as truth. It’s so hard not to think since I grew up singing songs a certain way that that is not the only way it should be. It’s so difficult to read and interpret scripture in a different way than Rev. (fill in the blank) did it so many years. It’s the same with us, as it was for our parents, as it was for their parents. Our nurture shapes so much. But it doesn’t change “Truth”. I need to be reminded often to not read scripture to “defend” the way I live faith and do church and instead read it to “define” the way I live faith and do church.

So I ask myself this question: Are the traditions and methodologies of old themselves bad just because they’ve become rote to a generation? While all traditions are insufficient without Christ (remember, even the law itself was created to expose sin, not cure it), I’m convinced that most are not bad in themselves, just incomplete. It’s what we make of them as believers. If they are void of Christ or seek to take the place of his atonement, then they are off base. It’s the old “Religion” verses “Relationship” argument. Paul knew this would come. That’s why He told the Church at Corinth to make sure they don’t take communion in an irreverent way without acknowledging the cross or examining themselves. It’s the same lesson for us today.

I go there today because of how this section of Paul’s letter starts…

“What advantage, then, is there in being a Jew, or what value is there in circumcision? Much in every way! First of all, they have been entrusted with the very words of God.” Romans 3:1-2

… and how he finishes…

“Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.” Romans 3:31

We certainly have to determine which of our traditions are a result of “law” verses “man”, but I think this reality should change the way we look at how others choose to worship. I’m not saying don’t analyze doctrine and theology. I am saying not to criticize methodology or even some traditions. We don’t know their hearts. We only know ours. I think this goes both ways. There are those who criticize the traditional church as being ineffective and then there are those who criticize the attractional or seeker church for being compromising (and all the others between these extremes). All along Paul is saying, “Hey, worry about yourself. It’s not about style, it’s about your heart. Whatever you do, make sure you know it’s about Christ and Christ crucified, worship God and don’t make it about you. Even in worship, really good worship, don’t worship your worship. Worship God. Don’t fool yourselves (Check out the plank in your eye) and be distracted or even justify yourself by devaluing others, and simply bring Glory to God. The best you know how.”

Bottom line is to get right with God. The way that happens is through Christ. The way it continues is through a pursuit of Christ. I think Paul sums up that pursuit in his letter to the Corinthian Church, “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Cor. 10:31)

3 comments:

  1. That is some good stuff there, my friend. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself looking down on the "traditional" church sometimes, maybe because I grew up in it and found it to be montonous? I dont know, but I dont want to look at it like that... People can be fed in many many ways. I happen to find it in places like ANC and the Stone. And more importantly in my quiet time with my Father in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandon, you hit on a lot of good points. I don't have the same background as you do. My father is not saved. He grew up in a church that was steeped in tradition. He says he left the church when they stopped speaking Latin. My mother's family was and is leaders in their church. My grandmother is the picture of grace and forgiveness. Most of my uncles are on their second and some third marriages. Christmas at my grandmother's house is not uncommon to see ex-wives celebrating with current wives. It is weird to say the least. When my parents got together, my father's ways, not going to church, took over. When I was growing up we went the typical Christmas and Easter services and that was it. So my relationship with Christ is one that started in college. I see the traditional old style church differently then some. I think hearts and intentions are good. I think methods are good. I think the "church" is good. It is like any other thing, when sinful man gets involved their is a risk of downfall no matter what. We are part of a non-denominational church right now. My wife and I got marriage in a huge well established denomational church and were members there. I say all that to say this. I think it flat comes down to the one on one relationship you have with God. There are good and bad, denomanational churchs and non-denomanational churchs out there. It must come down to that. When we start putting our faith in a building or a group of people and NOT in Jesus Christ, we are headed down hill fast. Both will let you down in time. The only thing that will not let you down is God. A person must go where they and their family are being fed by the word of God no matter what name is on the building.

    ReplyDelete