Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Acts 24 "The Good Life"

Acts 24 – Brandon Hatmaker “The Good Life”
Wednesday, May 14, 2008

“Several days later Felix came with his wife Drusilla, who was a Jewess. He sent for Paul and listened to him as he spoke about faith in Christ Jesus. As Paul discoursed on righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and said, "That's enough for now! You may leave. When I find it convenient, I will send for you." –Acts 24:24-25

It’s interesting how the accusations of Paul and his words struck a chord with Felix. As evidenced by the fact he called for Paul to hear more, I would imagine he had pondered the happenings of the day quite a bit. So he called to learn about Jesus. He thought it important enough to bring his wife as well. Then he got his fill and said that’s enough. He even went so far to mention “at his convenience” he’d call to hear more.

So here’s a synopsis:

1) Felix knew deep inside that he needed something more.
2) He felt enough responsibility to drag in a family member.
3) He listened until he felt he heard enough to feel good about himself.
4) He planned on doing it again when he needed another fix.

Honestly, that describes a large part of my early faith-walk. As I think back now, I thought I was in control. I thought I was pleasing God with my efforts (when they came). I actually felt in the moment that I was enjoying life. But as I look back know, I see how incomplete it was. Don’t get me wrong, I have a long way to go (as do most of us), but the reason I bring this up is to point out how naturally and easily we slip into self-serving faith. Taking in just enough to get by.

And here’s the truth: God does not suffer when we live our faith like this. We suffer. It’s a terribly incomplete, frustrating, and confusing journey to live a hand-to-mouth faith. We fall short of experiencing a life full of peace and joy. We fall short of living a life without guilt and condemnation. We fall short of experiencing a life of purpose and significance. And others around us (our spouse, our children, our friends, etc… ) fail to experience through us what could have been.

It’s a good life with Jesus. It truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment