Monday, May 5, 2008

Acts 17, "Be Beroean"

Acts 17 – “ Be Beroean”

“The Beroean Jews were more open-minded than those of Thessalonica: they accepted the message with all eagerness and examined the scriptures daily to see of these things were so.” -Acts 17:11

A good friend of mine, Mike Kilbane (ex-Army Officer, West Point Grad, and Special Forces Soldier) wrote this today concerning Acts 17. I thought I'd share it with the rest of the world:

"Open-minded’, ‘eager’, and ‘examined the scriptures daily’: what a great model to follow in our fellowship and daily walk. I think it is the combination of these three elements that make them most worthy of emulation. They weren’t close-minded and skeptical, they weren’t blindly accepting of what a teacher or leader said. I think the one-word description of the Beroeans for me would be “engaged”. They were a group that was engaged in their faith. Learning about it, growing in it , and, eventually, living in it. There wasn’t a passive acceptance of it as merely knowledge; it was something to be internalized and lived out. I pray that in my own personal walk I stay engaged with the faith through an open-minded and eager approach to teaching, insight, and the Word."

Good Stuff. Thanks Mike.

Father, today I also pray for open-mindedness, eagerness and an ever increasing desire for your Word. May you be honored in that pursuit. Help me to daily deny myself and the selfish pursuits of my flesh. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment