Thursday, May 8, 2008

Acts 20 "Normalcy"

Acts 20 – Brandon Hatmaker “Normalcy”
Thursday, May 8, 2008

"And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.” – Acts 20:22-24

Paul saw prison and hardship as a natural part of the Spirit’s movement in his life and a worthwhile result of following Christ.

Today, our tendency is to see trials and hardships as the lack of God’s hand. That just doesn’t make Biblical sense. When things don’t go like we hoped, we so quickly step back and ask Him where He went, point the finger, complain a little, and give up. However, trails are exactly what the word says they are, a testing of our faith. They show the purity of our commitment. In verse 19, Paul uses the word for trail that literally means, “putting to proof”. In verse 23, he uses the word hardship (more closely translated “afflictions”) which is defined as anguish, burden, and persecution. How many of us have experienced true affliction because of our faith?

So if we give up the moment tough times come. What do we prove?

What I feel today is humility because of God’s grace. Instead of guilt for whining all the time about little things that don’t go my way and are so petty (like I usually do when I read passages like this), I’m humbled that God has chosen to offer me the life I have. I hope we can all relate. Let’s remember and be thankful. Let’s reflect and be humbled. Let’s think of those in persecution and be prayerful.

Father, your grace is amazing. Be with those today who are being persecuted for your namesake. Give me the courage and strength to not allow the normalcy of this life to lesson my appreciation for all you have done. Teach me to lead, live, learn, struggle, grow, heal, and love out of thanksgiving to You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment