Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Acts 18 "Know-it-all"

Acts 18 – Brandon Hatmaker “Know-it-all”
Tuesday, May 6, 2008

“Meanwhile a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was a learned man, with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures. He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John. He began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they invited him to their home and explained to him the way of God more adequately.” – Acts 18:24-26

Here is a scripture that leads to much debate in the theological world. Many argue that Apollos had a knowledge of who Jesus was, but did not know Him as savior. Others argue he did have a saving faith and that this passage of scripture was evidence that Baptism is not required for salvation, but moreso a public display of a decision already made.

While I certainly have an opinion on this debate from a theological standpoint (which by I don’t believe this specific scripture gives a ton of clarity to) the most significant thing to me this morning is that while Apollos was a much learned man, was instructed in the way of the Lord, and spoke of great fervor and taught accurately… he still had something to learn. And he received it. Many times in our faith we are above correction. We dig in our heals. We get so defensive that we don’t allow room for further instruction.

We should all remain students of the Word. Especially those of us teaching and leading.

Father, keep me teachable at all times. Give me a supernatural hunger for your Word. I confess at times a temptation to come across as if I know more than I do scripturally, especially as a Pastor. I pray for Your divine clarity. I pray that the Spirit would guide my personal study. I pray that your Truth would be found in my teaching. I pray that you would give me the courage to lead in accordance to your Word. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment