Friday, May 2, 2008

Acts 16 "Big Plans"

Acts 16 – Brandon Hatmaker “Big Plans”
Friday, May 2, 2008

In Acts 16, Paul's life collided with three significant people and their "worlds":

“On the Sabbath we went outside the city gate to the river, where we expected to find a place of prayer. We sat down and began to speak to the women who had gathered there. One of those listening was a woman named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth from the city of Thyatira, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul's message.” Acts 16:13-14

“Once when we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit by which she predicted the future... Finally Paul became so troubled that he turned around and said to the spirit, "In the name of Jesus Christ I command you to come out of her!" At that moment the spirit left her.” Acts 16:16 & 18

The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household. – Acts 16:29-30

God had led Paul to Philippi where he was flogged and put in prison. Not exactly the welcoming party he probably hoped for.

Yet it was here that he met Lydia and the other women who gathered for prayer. It was here that a young slave girl found freedom and deliverance from demonic captivity. It was here where the jailer and his whole family came to know Christ. And this was how God started this amazing, generous, Church of faith at Philippi. Pretty unconventional. But God had gone before them. He had laid the groundwork. The fields were ripe for harvest. And even in their adversity, they found massive fruit and established the beginning of a church, whose story ministers to us today.

All this because God revealed himself to Paul and the Spirit led him. He had a vision for life and ministry that was OF God and FROM God. The Bible clearly tells us that where there is no “revelation” or “vision” the people perish. This vision is not our vision. It is speaking clearly of something “seen” from God. It’s His vision. It's supernatural.

One thing I’m challenged by Paul today is His constant ability to have revelation from God. Daily he responded. He moved. He took action. And his fruit was truly God’s fruit. Our problem is that often we gain a vision and say, “Okay thanks for that God, I got it from here. Let me go now and make that happen for you.” And it will be weeks, if not months or even years before we seek it again or even ask how we are supposed to see it out.

When’s the last time we earnestly sought God’s revelation on something and kept with it until we found it? I mean His obvious, blatant, no-doubt leading. Not just in our church (although yes in our church), but ALSO in our personal lives?

Paul seemed to seek it daily. He also seemed to find it daily. In a moment of confession, I’ve been convicted this morning that I don’t seek it daily. I seek God. I ask him to do stuff for me daily (ugh). But I don’t seek his revelation enough. I seek it on big things. But then I take over on the strategy and get busy making it happen. Forgetting to seek more revelation along the way.

Most of us treat God’s revelation like a relay race where we take the baton and run. Rarely would we choose the three-legged race where we are yoked together. I think it’s because with our eyes we see it as too slow and awkward to stay together. But in God’s eyes, that race (journey) is about much more than speed.

God, sometimes I get so busy doing stuff for you and asking for stuff from you, that I forget to seek what you want. Especially in times that are seemingly successful. It seems like in those seasons of success, I seek your revelation even less. Forgive me for when I make my spiritual journey so much about what I’m doing and where I need you to fit into it. Help me to see your vision daily. Not just in what I would consider the big things, but in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment