Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Acts 23 "In Good Conscience"

Acts 23 – Brandon Hatmaker “In Good Conscience”
Tuesday, May 13, 2008

“Paul looked straight at the Sanhedrin and said, "My brothers, I have fulfilled my duty to God in all good conscience to this day." At this the high priest Ananias ordered those standing near Paul to strike him on the mouth. Then Paul said to him, "God will strike you, you whitewashed wall! You sit there to judge me according to the law, yet you yourself violate the law by commanding that I be struck!" – Acts 23:1-3

I had a weird reaction to the High Priests actions today. I actually could relate with him. That’s not a good thing. But I could. It’s natural to strike out in self-defense when we feel threatened. It’s even a natural response to have an exaggerated feeling of self-justification as well as heightened level of accusation on those giving threat. But it doesn’t make it right. It doesn’t make us right as accusers.

Paul stood confidently saying that he had fulfilled his “duty to God in all good conscience”. Yet he was accused. He once again reminded them that he was one of them (vs.6). I think this is not only a redundant theme, but also an important one. He was one of them. He cared passionately about what was important to God. Although he knew his message would cause trouble, it wasn’t his hope, he was just trying to share the Good News.

Think about it for a moment. What if just one of them would have thought, “What if God really is in this?” God certainly has a pattern of doing things in ways that are higher and at least different than ours. What if? I think lives would have been changed (at least theirs). And opportunity would not be lost.

There are a handful of things that I am convicted about in this scripture. First, I need to put greater thought into my accusations. Then, no matter where I land (hopefully and prayerfully), to put greater thought into my reactions. In the following verses (vs.4-5), Paul was rebuked for speaking out against the leader of the nation, which was against the law. Paul quickly acknowledged that he had broken that law and confessed that he hadn’t even taken the time to figure out whom he was talking to. Even though he was right, Paul was wrong in his reaction.

Second, I need to take greater confidence in God’s daily leading. Paul stated clearly that he stood in good conscience. This came directly from two things: (1) His obedience and (2) his desire to please God more than man. I believe that Paul, in the most dire of times, had a peace that many of us crave as a result of this confidence. I find it easier and easier to actually obey and follow each day (okay, that might have been an overstatement) but the complete peace of God is not as easily found. This reminds me that I have work to do.

Another reminder for all of us is to trust in His timing. We want patience and we want it now. We want to follow God and we want to do it our way and in our timing. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve made promises to God about something I need to deal with but decided sub-consciously that I’ll deal with the issue “next time”. Many committed believers have a pretty good idea of God’s directing and what He wants from us (Whether we admit it or not). But to trust His timing can be the hardest part. At the perfect time, when Paul needed it most (probably physically, spiritually, and emotionally) it was time.

“The following night the Lord stood near Paul and said, "Take courage! As you have testified about me in Jerusalem, so you must also testify in Rome." Acts 23:11

Father, we are complicated people. You already know that. Protect us from ourselves. Help us to prayerfully consider your ways as we determine our ways. Protect our relationships, our families, our friends, our workplace, and our churches.

No comments:

Post a Comment