Wednesday, April 9, 2008

John 20 "Jealous"

John 20 – Brandon Hatmaker “Jealous”
Wednesday, April 9, 2008

“A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe." – John 10:26-27

It’s funny. I always read this scripture feeling a little bit like saying, “come on Thomas, what’s your problem?” As if I’m some kind of “faith” giant that never struggles with doubt.

Today I was thinking about how Jesus revealed himself to Thomas. He spoke his exact language. “You want to see the holes? Here they are. Touch them.” I got a bit jealous. I want Him to speak my language more, exactly the way I need it. Sometimes I feel like he’s not, but reality is, He is always speaking my language. He’s everywhere and He’s speaking loudly. Most of us struggle with an unclear understanding of how to hear God. We might feel that He does not owe any of us clear communication, so why would he? But He does it anyways. He came to this earth and walked as a man, spoke our language, and is still speaking today.

Our problem is not God, it’s us. The writing is on the wall. Most of the time, we just need to be reminded, encouraged, or told to look at the wall (we’re typically to busy navel gazing, it’s all about us, isn’t it?). The next time we find ourselves wondering where God is, maybe we should check first if we’re really looking. Is He speaking but we’re not listening? He’s speaking our language, He’s been doing it for years.

God, help me to hear through the noise of my life, your clear message. Give me a growing desire to be in constant communication with you. Give me insight for times to be silent and still. Help me to be patient. Help me to have the courage to respond appropriately.

No comments:

Post a Comment