Friday, April 11, 2008

Acts 1 "Selfish"

Acts 1 – Brandon Hatmaker “Selfish”
Friday, April 11, 2008



“…and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

"Men of Galilee," they said, "why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven."

Two very specific directives are given in Acts 1 to believers. The first is to be Jesus’ direct witnesses… literally everywhere. Originally it was speaking of a first hand knowledge from someone who has actually seen him and/or his resurrection. I think it’s a reminder for us today to be a witness of Jesus and His life, not just the traditions or rituals of religion. That’s what everyone already did. He came to change that. He came to offer a new covenant, a new way, and obviously (Acts 1) a new Spirit.

The second directive is to stop looking up. The task for the first one is pretty obvious. The second is a little bit more abstract.

Why should they stop looking up? Why should they take their eyes of the risen Lord? I don’t know that I have a Biblically sound answer to that. What my gut says though is that it’s not so much about where our eyes are, as much as it is where our eyes are not. Sometimes we get so focused on our own faith that we forget about others. Sometimes when we are focused on others (even in the name of ministry) we don’t realize we are often focused only on those we gain benefit from. It becomes selfish. We do this in faith, we do this in our relationships, and we do this in our churches. It makes me wonder whom I’m neglecting in my faith and leadership. We so easily make things about us. But it’s not about us.

Father, I want to be the man of God you want me to be, help me to be a witness of the life and person of Jesus. Help me to keep focus where Jesus kept it, on others. Give me concern and compassion for others. God, help me to look outside of those who I selfishly benefit from. Teach me to care for those and to give to those that I may never receive from.

No comments:

Post a Comment