Tuesday, April 1, 2008

John 14 "Trust is earned"

John 14 – Brandon Hatmaker “Trust is earned”

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” –John 14:1-3

There are times in life that certainly seem like trouble. They feel like trouble. They look like trouble. Sometimes it hurts, many times confusing. All of us can relate with that. At least anyone who’s ever been a parent, had a job, tried to be a good husband or wife, a good friend or neighbor, or someone seeking to be a faithful follower of Christ. Jesus tells us to trust Him.

Not only do we trust the creator of this universe (Trust in God), but also the part of that creator who gives us life (Trust also in me). The word used for trust means to “entrust, commit, to put in trust with”. This kind of trust goes beyond believing in the person of Christ for salvation, but also challenges us to make effort to “place” our trust in Christ, his teachings, and his methods for life. If those methods seem to create trouble, we can be assured that it’s trouble worth going through… and thus, our hearts can rest assured. That may be the greatest challenge of all, to not just know you can trust Him, but to actually do it to the point in which we experience peace in our hearts.

We’ve all heard the saying that “Trust is earned”. If anyone has proven that, it’s Jesus.

Father, it’s easier to obey physically than it is to trust emotionally to the point in which we experience peace in our hearts. You tell us not to worry. Your words say to be anxious for nothing. Forgive me where I fail to trust with my whole self. I ask for the strength to daily release everything and place in trust with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment